High Horse - Tallbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: High Horse

Got flame? In a half hour, well maybe an hour total, I was able to make this with the two sand filled tubes. The sand displaces all the room for the tube to collapse so you are able to bend it without distortion when heating with the torch. Man I love oldschool!
1highhorse7.jpg
1highhorse6.jpg

TommyTwoTime said:
Hey Flamejigger thanks for the comments. Those grinding bits can be found at most industrial tool suppliers. I have many different ones and frankly have gotten alot of them at different stores. check online search under "carbide grinding bits". Hope that helps.

Thanks man! I will try to find one. I have tried searching for rotary rasp, Gringing bits and everything I could think of. Didn't try adding carbide grinding bits though. I will try that now.

Flame Jigger said:
TommyTwoTime said:
Hey Flamejigger thanks for the comments. Those grinding bits can be found at most industrial tool suppliers. I have many different ones and frankly have gotten alot of them at different stores. check online search under "carbide grinding bits". Hope that helps.

Thanks man! I will try to find one. I have tried searching for rotary rasp, Gringing bits and everything I could think of. Didn't try adding carbide grinding bits though. I will try that now.

Those were the magic words. I found several online sources and now that I know what I am looking for I will try to find one locally. Thanks again and the bike is looking great. Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks! Yeah the steering tube is on the list. I've got the stuff to do it just gotta get the time. in fact all the remaining pieces are made, just gotta stick em together. Then hopefully I can get all the accessories (seat, handlebars, crankset ect) at the ann arbor show in a couple weeks. I will also be making a tail light, truss bars and big ole tank for this thing this summer. Lots of stuff planned to keep me busy.

Wow, no offense to anybody else here, but this is shaping up to be the only tall-bike I've ever liked! Nice job - especially in making it so pleasing to the eye. 8)

Took a mental day today, so got up early, kids to school and got out in the shop. Today is the day to accomplish what I've been avoiding. :x GRINDING!!!! :x Its just a messy, noisy and time consuming part of the job that I feel is annoying but you gotta get it done. Luckily I got it done pretty quick. Here is a shot of the money side after grinding off all the little nubs of leftover pipe.
highhorse5.jpg

After finding out that we were hosting family :shock: for the holiday next week, I decided I better step it up a little here cause im not going to get much done next week. So I finished up the rest of the major welding and got the lower down tube brace welded on.
highhorse3.jpg
highhorse2.jpg

Getting down to the nitty gritty here on this frame. I started to hand notch this tube and decided I better stop. I stopped because I want to make sure the front wheel is sitting where its going to sit and I haven't finished the steerer tube yet. There is too much slop in this area for me to feel comfy about welding it in. Thats going to be my weekend project. But here it is just resting on there.
highhorse9.jpg
highhorse7.jpg

way cool ! the forks turned out real nice ! so did you hack up some old forks to use as the extensions or did you flatten out some tube? i cant wait to see it done

dash said:
way cool ! the forks turned out real nice ! so did you hack up some old forks to use as the extensions or did you flatten out some tube? i cant wait to see it done
Thanks Dash, I hacked up three forks to do it. I wish I had enough length to make it one tube, but I didnt. So to make it strong, I used some solid rod that fit real tight inside that tube. I drilled holes along the tube and then filled it with weld (puddle). If it cracks or breaks hopefully that solid rod will keep it together long enough for me to bail out. Its an area that i will have watch after riding it to make sure it isnt cracked. I dont care much for road rash so I'll have to make sure it'll hold up.

I wish I could weld as nice as you do![/quote]
Come on FP. I've seen your work. I took one all around welding class in 1995. Its all about practice and having a quality machine. I taught myself to tig aluminum by playing around with scrap pieces. If I can do it anyone can. The biggest tip I can give anyone about tig is that you have to remember to make tiny circles with the tip of your electrode. This will pile up your filler rod into those half moon swirls and make your welds stronger and prettier. I also found out that relaxing my body is key for me. If Im tense my welds show it.

Well it was a good weekend! I was able to get the frame fabrication complete plus a little sanding and threw on some primer and a thin coat of enamel. The paint will be sanded off when the weather breaks. In fact we had a couple of inches of snow this morning so Im glad I was able to put a coat on it.
2highhrs1.jpg
1highhorse8.jpg

Back