Higgins for my gal!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assembled this last night after a couple weeks of working on and gathering parts.

52ish Higgins - You make it go away roadside freebie:

7.jpg

6.jpg

$20 Thrifty Store score from a few months back.

sears1.jpg

sears2.jpg

Stripped & painted

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

Assembled.

fini1.jpg

fini2.jpg

fini3.jpg

fini4.jpg

fini5.jpg

Need to tidy a few things up and finish pinstriping but all in all she's done. No more "you build all these bikes for everybody BUT me" from the Missus. 8)

Thanks for lookin'!

looks super nice! The light blue and white color combo is sweet.

jeff

p.s. I thought this seat would look great on it...super comfy too. It's a Nirve seat from BikeWorldUSA.com
S113NirveWhiteClassic.jpg

Thx guys! I really dig that seat...the one that's on has some seriously bent springs. On the other hand I hate to buy anything short of paint these days. lol!

How do you tell if its a higgins or a murray. I have a frame like that, not as nice as yours, but I thought it was a murray. Did you have serial numbers? Mine has a tank...Do you have the ability to date it? I mean do you have a link to serial numbers? :lol:

That looks sharp. She will love it. Strange, I am building a 59 fairlady for my girlfriend as we speak, same color, with pink wall tires.

jtdaddy said:
How do you tell if its a higgins or a murray. I have a frame like that, not as nice as yours, but I thought it was a murray. Did you have serial numbers? Mine has a tank...Do you have the ability to date it? I mean do you have a link to serial numbers? :lol:

Good question! lol

Did a lot of searching for info. Top one was stamped under the bottom bracket "MOD 502 46752". I found an almost identical matching number somewhere and was suggested it was a 52'. When I sanded the chain guard I found a really faint "JC Higgins" in the paint underneath. Again, I googled the serial and dug through tons of garbage. Wish I could find the link for you. I'll keep looking.

Second bike is badged "Sears" and has the identical frame as the top one. Guessing that's a Higgins as well as Higgins was a Sears manufacturer right? I'm not real swift on actual manufacturers as I'm still somewhat noobish to vintage cycles. :oops:

crt95 said:
That looks sharp. She will love it. Strange, I am building a 59 fairlady for my girlfriend as we speak, same color, with pink wall tires.

She rode it last night. Funny thing is when we met 2 years ago she told me she never learned to ride a bike as a kid. About 6 months ago she started pressing me to build her one. "I thought you couldn't ride?" I asked. She replied she was joking.

Wish I had my video camera of her inaugural ride last night...comedy gold. Looked like her 7 year old's first ride as I was teaching her! lol! Needless to say, the 7 year old is a better rider than her mom. :wink: :p

Great job!.........That color combination is so "girlie".....PERFECT!

Back