Hiawatha..women's...???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up today, seller thought 50's, seems to just be missing the seat. Tank is included.

Price was right, wondering what year it might be.

I agree that it looks 50's or 40's but I don't know the exact year. It's made by Murray so I believe the serial number would help you.

Well...Does anyone have a good idea what size tires/tubes I am going to need for this. I've never had a bike this old, closest is my 60 Columbia tandem.

The "L" indicates 1947. The bike uses 26 X 2.125 tires & tubes... still the standard for virtually all "cruisers" sold today.

Thanks! That is what I thought I was seeing at the CABE, but I'm new enough at the pre-60s, and totally inexperienced with the balloon tires, to need confirmation.

nice one to work with,,, stylish rack and high-end chainguard.

LarzBahrs said:
That's not a Hiawatha, that's a Murray built mercury. Could as well be per 50's or even prevwar

Not doubting your knowledge, as I know thise things can be changed. Here is the headbadge on her-

Garrysr said:
LarzBahrs said:
That's not a Hiawatha, that's a Murray built mercury. Could as well be per 50's or even prevwar

Not doubting your knowledge, as I know thise things can be changed. Here is the headbadge on her-

The "Hiawatha" name was the store brand name for bikes sold by Gambles department store. Gambles was supplied with Hiawatha badged bikes by a number of manufacturers, including Shelby, Cleveland Welding, and Murray. Your bike is Murray built, and there is no reason to doubt the originality of the badge.

Back