Hi from Denver

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

When I was a kid my life was bikes, and although I've used a bike for transport ever since, it's only recently that I've been bitten by the bug of building / modifying again. It's all thanks to my girlfriend and 7 year old, who ride SOOOO SLOOOOOWLY that I simply had to get a bike for cruising with them, and it all started there.

I'm a car guy, and it's so nice to be able to achieve something so quickly and cheaply with a bike that takes so much work (and money) with a car. I've gone from having one bike to 3 in 2 weeks thanks to Craigslist ;-)

My absolute dream bike is an authentically aged old bike with rust and muted colors, but the first thing I picked up was a used XYZ stretched cruiser for $120 and I'm very much into the feel of it. The goal is to use parts, paint and some basic metal work and wood skills to end up with a bike that someone will look at and think that it's old, but in very good shape for it's age, so light rust on rims and chrome and a slightly distressed painted look.

Day 1 with the stretch:
1000000644.JPG

Day 2: ( Chopped and painted the rear mudguard and removed the front - and my girlfriends shiny happy Electra)
1000000686.JPG

Now
1000000749.JPG

It's going to be all about the stretch, but I bought the near bike (80s ish huffy) for $25 which is a deal for the rims (already on the stretch) and handlebars (switched after this pic). Fat Franks arrived too.

In the near future I'm going to:

- experiment with seats.. I bought an old leather jacket for $5 at a thrift store with nice aged leather that I'm going to re-cover a seat with.
- build a wooden rear rack on metal struts
- learn how to true a wheel
- modify and spray a light fixture I found in a thrift store as a front headlight.
- respray the huffy as a practice run
- respray the stretch

Hope to see any Denver peeps some Wednesday night.

Best

K

Welcome! That's a nice looking stretch! There's something about the frame that makes it a bit different from many similar bikes. I like it! :D

Thought I'd post some pics of new bikes in my intro. I've been buying lots of sub $50 bikes on craigslist and thriftstores. Can't help myself.

I took some bits and pieces and made this cruiser to stay at my office. The rims were black alloy that I sprayed masking with straws, and the frame is just red primer.

1000001034.JPG

1000001049.JPG

I also bought a frame that I wanted to go balloon tire style with, but in the end went with a ratty single speed and it's become my primary non-crusing bike. Feels great.

1000000934.JPG

K

Back