HHH > STINGER > Finished Bike Pics...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brothers b-day is soon. I have no cash, so I decded to take the "cop" bike I recently got with my scrap metal money and make a black Rat for him. He's real hard on stuff, so I figured this is a great, more indestructable, base bike to stat with. He lives in the big city, so he may need the gearing as well. He loves black, only wears black, and everything he owns is black, black, black. It'll need to be black and wicked for sure... or he won't touch it!

The bike was registered from Galveston, TX. and me & my brother took a trip down there to the Stingaree Bluegrass Festival and drank Stingaroo's (margaritas) - The Boulivar peninsula is toast I think now.... plus Stinger seems like cool name. BLINK came up with name actually from Space build bike I did... I liked name, and it all made sense...

Anyways, here is before pick, and after pick. I more than likely won't be using the seat or forks, and maybe not the seat . I'll try to keep track as best I can. Cheers, T.

hhh_01a.jpg

hhh_01b.jpg

Re: HHH > STINGER

OK, I have to admit, it was a little sad sanding this good paint off this Schwinn, but WOW is it nice working with non rusty parts! Anyways, sanded it all off, primered, started on few other parts - just showing progress/updates. I like the name STINGER that "blink" referred to in the Thruster Space Bike thread, I think that s a great name for this bike as well, so THANKS blink. My brothers initials are HHH, so going to work that in to the plate maybe as abstract stinger.

stinger_01a.jpg

stinger_01b.jpg

stinger_01c.jpg

stinger_01d.jpg

stinger_01e.jpg

stinger_01f.jpg

stinger_01g.jpg

Thanks for looking - any ideas welcome! Cheers, T.

aka_locojoe said:
Troy you could be building a turd and would still have my interest. You do such a nice job documenting your builds for us.
That HHH logo is cool.

Agreed. 8)

but please don't build a turd. Or at least don't show us.

I bet the documentation takes as long as the bike build.

I really like your idea for the Initialed tank plate. It looks subtle and wild at the same time.

Can't wait to see it done!...............Heck, my next build, I'm sending you the pics to do the thread.

Looks good. You're a zipper lock bag man too huh? I love those things!

I think you're about to start a "fad"....Flat black/gloss black...Looks NICE!

nice name!

and i have always been a fan of using flat/gloss same color combos.

looking forward to see how this all comes together

Quick Update - bike is almost complete, took awhile to cut down all the cables, etc. - they were too long. Got it all back together, but wanted to clean it up before I posted pics. AND I need HELP!

I have never done a hand-brtake bike before or ne w/a back gear changer thing and need HELP ADVICE for:

1.) I set the brakes, they seem great. but when I squeeze them in, they stay squeezed in pretty much and do not return to "free" the wheel. Any ideas?

2.) Is this BIGGEST gear the #7 gear, or is the Smallest gear the #7 gear? Everything seems to work shifter wise, but it wil only jump between the bottom two gears, and never to bigger gear - how do I set/adjust this thing!!

THANKS to "beatcad" for the great wheel bolts, your a life saver, and they shined up and worked GREAT!

Few recent pics/additions:
sting_03a.jpg

sting_03b.jpg

smallest gear is # 7

should be adjustment screws on the derailer that limit its movement.

havent spent much time with those style brakes, sounds like either a bolts too tight or youve got a cable problem.

Make sure the brake levers are rated for linear pulls (AKA V-brake) and keep a close gap.

OK thanks, will check that stuff! The bike was complete, everything worked GREAT as far as brakes, shifting gears, etc. All I did was take bike apart and repaint - then put back together. I did cut cables down but I'd say they work better than before, no frays, lightly oiled, etc. They seem to work great, the brakes just don't go back, or reset.

Anyone else have any input? Have to deliver bike tomorrow and have to work these kinks out! Thanks in advance, T,

Back