Hey new guy here but I just picked up a Hawthorne winter project, I was wondering if anybody would have any information about it was told it’s a 68.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3923.jpeg

Actually the little information I do know is that it is a Hawthorne bike.
Hawthorne is a badge for Montgomery Ward department stores. Like Foremost was a badge for JC Penny. The department stores didn’t manufacture the bike. In this case, it’s an import. Probably from Japan, considering the amount of Shimano parts that I see.
Imports can have some neat designs, but most are not really desirable by muscle bike collectors outside a few exceptions.

There were many thousands of department stores in the USA then and many had their own brand names but hardly any made their own bikes. They were mostly outsourced from existing bike factories anywhere in the world. Stelber was the only department store that I've learned did make some of their bikes.

look for a "made in ...." decal. Perhaps a Steyr from Austria. The fork crown looks similar to other Steyr built bikes. They were a big supplier to Sears so why not monkeywards. Taiwan or Japan are other likely sources.

Here is a 1968 Wards Xmas catalog with the Mustang and Formula V, not at Wishbook.

Pretty close match but the frame is different so it surely is from a different year and supplier.
Twin top tubes vs canti frame, different shifter, 1 vs 3 piece cranks.

Matching Formula V decals and chain guard!

page 363 has the Mustang and Super Formula one speeds,
https://christmas.musetechnical.com/ShowCatalogPage/1968-Montgomery-Ward-Christmas-Book/0363
page 364 shows images of the Formula V
https://christmas.musetechnical.com/ShowCatalogPage/1968-Montgomery-Ward-Christmas-Book/0364
text description of the Super Formula V for $69.94.
https://christmas.musetechnical.com/ShowCatalogPage/1968-Montgomery-Ward-Christmas-Book/0365
Some of the bikes' serial numbers include the catalog part numbers for some stores. For the Super Formula V above, the catalog number is 30120 so that might be stamped on the frame.

The paint looks okay and should clean up okay. The chrome, well it's not triple plate to start with so it didn't hold up well. That's all too common on most makers. Schwinn was one of the few producers who did triple plate their parts.

The rear derailleur looks to be a Shimano. Disraelli gears has those documented including the years of production. Shimano revised derailleurs pretty quick. Most were just made for a few years. Shimano also put a 2 letter date code on the back side of many of their components. The chain guard also looks like it's from Japan.

There were many thousands of department stores in the USA then and many had their own brand names but hardly any made their own bikes. They were mostly outsourced from existing bike factories anywhere in the world. Stelber was the only department store that I've learned did make some of their bikes.

look for a "made in ...." decal. Perhaps a Steyr from Austria. The fork crown looks similar to other Steyr built bikes. They were a big supplier to Sears so why not monkeywards. Taiwan or Japan are other likely sources.

Here is a 1968 Wards Xmas catalog with the Mustang and Formula V, not at Wishbook.

Pretty close match but the frame is different so it surely is from a different year and supplier.
Twin top tubes vs canti frame, different shifter, 1 vs 3 piece cranks.

Matching Formula V decals and chain guard!

page 363 has the Mustang and Super Formula one speeds,
https://christmas.musetechnical.com/ShowCatalogPage/1968-Montgomery-Ward-Christmas-Book/0363
page 364 shows images of the Formula V
https://christmas.musetechnical.com/ShowCatalogPage/1968-Montgomery-Ward-Christmas-Book/0364
text description of the Super Formula V for $69.94.
https://christmas.musetechnical.com/ShowCatalogPage/1968-Montgomery-Ward-Christmas-Book/0365
Some of the bikes' serial numbers include the catalog part numbers for some stores. For the Super Formula V above, the catalog number is 30120 so that might be stamped on the frame.

The paint looks okay and should clean up okay. The chrome, well it's not triple plate to start with so it didn't hold up well. That's all too common on most makers. Schwinn was one of the few producers who did triple plate their parts.

The rear derailleur looks to be a Shimano. Disraelli gears has those documented including the years of production. Shimano revised derailleurs pretty quick. Most were just made for a few years. Shimano also put a 2 letter date code on the back side of many of their components. The chain guard also looks like it's from Japan.
Awesome I appreciate that information, and looking closer at the the bike it was made in Japan and im assuming sold in Chicago IL based on the tag. But that being said do you believe that this bike could still be completely original and somewhat rare but likely not sought after due to being imported. Tia

Hawthorne is a badge for Montgomery Ward department stores. Like Foremost was a badge for JC Penny. The department stores didn’t manufacture the bike. In this case, it’s an import. Probably from Japan, considering the amount of Shimano parts that I see.
Imports can have some neat designs, but most are not really desirable by muscle bike collectors outside a few exceptions.
Right on I appreciate your information. I picked this bike up mainly to restore and ride when the weather gets better, but considering it’s not desired by other collectors it’s gotta be somewhat rare correct? And I ask that because lots of them I’m sure rusted just like mine is and we’re dumped because they weren’t sought after as a “good” bike.

I'm still looking through the available Wards catalogs on line for an exact match. They printed Spring-Summer, Fall-Winter and Christmas catalogs many years in the period and not every catalog is on line. I saw some kids bikes with 3-piece cranks in the 1970 & 1971 catalogs but not an exact match. I think yours has either fallen through the cracks or was an uncatalogued model. Maybe a short term shortages fill in.

Most muscle bike collectors want Schwinn Sting Rays and Krates so those prices are high. The off brands can be even more outlandish in design. I expect fewer were sold and fewer survived. I run a local bike recycling coop and I get many guys in looking for Schwinn Sting Rays & Krates and GT bmx bikes but no one ever asks about the other brands. Pretty much all the surviving Sting Rays, Krates and decent old school BMX are in the hands of collectors now. Supply & demand economics really works in collecting. Only Huffy mx bikes gets some going on memories. Huffy was the biggest USA maker then so more city kids got them.

Rare, yes, Valuable, no. Collecting is surely age based. We want what we wanted when we were kids and now we have the money. Much older stuff is no longer valuable because the guys who wanted it have passed. Model T cars are an example. 40-50 years ago they were a big deal, now you would have a hard time giving one away. 1970s high end road bikes are dropping in value. Off brand bicycles, some really cool, just don't have the following. part of that is just not being able to ride them due to physical issues. Bad knees and backs keep us off dropped bar bikes and 20" bikes. I hear all the excuses from original owners / heirs when they drop off 40 year old bikes at the local coop. Many have gone to the dark side (ebikes) or comfort bikes or just can't ride anymore.

Yes, pretty rare. So that alone would make it a cool restoration project. If you’re going to keep it original, here’s a good project to read about. The part where @The Renaissance Man uses Oxialic acid should be of interest.

https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/sid.118940/
Thinking about it I will most likely end up cleaning everything up and doing a very similar scheme I did on a mini bike recently. I plan to keep the bike in my collection and I will be taking both to a local show so I’m not worried about the value or anything plus it will still be “original” parts yet anyways at least.

Latest posts

Back