Hey from the Texas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Ricky. I live on the southeast side of Houston. I have been messing with bikes some way or another for most of my life. I did adventure racing and duathlons for a while but now that I have a wife and 4 kids I don't have the time that I used to. Every summer since I was about 12 our family vacations in Panama City Beach in Florida work a week in the summer. This past year with the jacked up gas prices I decided to take bicycles down with us, I didn't want to our mountain bikes, just in case they got stolen. So I started a few months before and started getting some bikes together. A friend gave me a Huffy Cranbrook women's bike that I was going to build up for my wife. I have a younger cousin that decided he didn't need his Schwinn anymore, so this would be mine. Then as vacation was closing in I could not find anything cheap so I sold my Cannondale road bike to a kid that had been borrowing it anyway and picked up two more Huffy Cranbrook men's bikes for our twelve and thirteen year old's. We have the Galveston Seawall here and there is a shop down there that has just about everything. I didn't find out til later about this page. I'm diggin' it a lot. Here are my bikes.

The non rat
DSCF2717.jpg

My Wife's Ride
DSCF2031.jpg

The boy's bikes
DSCF2033.jpg

DSCF2040.jpg

My ride
DSCF1946.jpg

The Lineup
DSCF2047.jpg

Here's another bike my friend gave me. At the momont it's in the process of being stripped and cleaned up a little.
DSCF1835.jpg

This is how we roll.....
DSCF2487.jpg

DSCF2488s.jpg

The bag on the roof is holding a trailer for our 4 year old all broke down

I have since picked up a Schwinn HD and a Worksman women's plant bike. We also have a few BMX bikes and acouple more mountain bikes. I just can't seem to get rid of any of them.

nice lineup, good family times. how is the reconstruction coming? the texas coast sure took a big hit. now i'm glad i didn't let the wife talk me into buying that home in galveston. i sure do miss it a lot though, really sad to see so much destroyed that had been there so long. hopefully things are coming along down there. big ol welcome to ya!

nice lineup, good family times. how is the reconstruction coming? the texas coast sure took a big hit. now i'm glad i didn't let the wife talk me into buying that home in galveston. i sure do miss it a lot though, really sad to see so much destroyed that had been there so long. hopefully things are coming along down there. big ol welcome to ya!

The reconstruction in Galveston itself is starting to come along. The areas outside of the Seawall are still really bad. I haven't been to the west end of the island but from what I've heard it's pretty much gone. My wife and youngest and I took a little roadtrip on January 1st and went down to High Island and went back up the penninsula to Bolivar and crossed the ferry. The whole penninsula is pretty much wiped clean. I tried to take a bunch of pictures of landmarks that were there before but nothing is there. It will be at least 10 years before it ever starts to resemble what it once was. On Galveston Island though the area away from the Seawall got it worse than some of the places facing the water. I mean, the Balinese Room is gone completely. Murdock Bath House and the Flagship are trashed and will have to be demo'd and the Seawall is buckled and damaged in areas. The areas right off of Broadway (I-45) sit lower than the Seawall so these are the homes that flooded. The problem was it was Cat 3 storm with a Cat 5 storm surge. Living off of Galveston Bay I was blessed. Not so much for my friend Micah (BigDaddy101). He got about two foot of water in his house. One thing that was really great was how the people in this area came together.

pretty coll huffys. i never saw any like them before.welcome to the site!

Thanks, they are your basic Walmart Huffy cruisers stripped of anything that says Huffy other than the seats, which eventually will be changed out for something else. Then I changed out the fenders and handlebars on them with some that I picked up down at a bike shop in Galveston. The stickers came from a surf shop.

Hey trux,
thanks for update. went online & checked pics from aftermath. i'm in shock. i had no idea it was so bad. very sad. we lived in apt 1 block back from seawall near what i think was a walmart (was randall's when we lived there) :cry:

Back