Here's another sweet vintage frame for you guys to ID....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No badge.
Same dropouts and kickstand as the AMC Mark VII I'm currently motorizing....
So most likely same factory. Murray or Columbia, right?

Man these louvers just do it for me...

Kickstand mounting is identical to my AMC Mark VII shown here

This is one of the best of the vintage bikes I have as far as condition. Main issue is crap red spraycan overpaint.
I'm hoping it comes off without too much damage to factory red underneath. Even the fenders are undamaged.
Rims and tires were toast of course. Rear wheel rusted clean through at bottom of rim.
was equipped with a Komet Super Coaster hub.

Yup, it's a Murray.
Drops,fork,chain ring,rack,stand all Murray.
I noticed the tab on the head tube, that tells me there was a tank mounted. Can usually get those on eBay, I might even have one.

Yup, it's a Murray.
Drops,fork,chain ring,rack,stand all Murray.
I noticed the tab on the head tube, that tells me there was a tank mounted. Can usually get those on eBay, I might even have one.
I'd be very interested in possibly trading for something I have in the pile...Let me know if you find one laying around.

This is my all original skymaster, I think yours may have had a tank like it.
IMG_0001 by Falstaff, on Flickr

and these are the tanks I have, you'll notice they're all smaller than the skymaster tank. I think they might be from girls bikes or maybe 24" bikes, so they may not work for you. Also checked the only spare bezel I have, it's from a girls bike so it won't work.

IMG_0006 by Falstaff, on Flickr

The red tank fits the frame ok, but I don't have a bezel for it. And the dark blue one is missing the battery holder.

Very cool! It breaks my heart some moron took all the tanks and head badges off these works of rolling art before I got to them.
I simply don't have the energy or means to track down replacements so I guess it's good to go.
Oh well. Thanks for the pics!

I'm wondering if Viktor Schreckengost designed these bikes as well as the spaceliner, and if so I wonder what he'd think of what they become on this site.

I'm going to a swap this weekend, if I see the right tank at the right price maybe we can work out a deal.

jchiggins_cat_zpsiod9fcey.jpg

Do you have any idea what the proper headbadge for this bike looks like?
And also, I have a bunch of vintage headbadges BADLY removed from frames I would be willing to trade on...Some better than others and all damaged slightly.

No idea of rarity or value so any info would be helpful.

The bike on the left in the ad, I think would have the black with red circle and silver. "V" the one on bottom one over from the right.

The bike on the right in the ad wouldn't have one, the tank bezel would cover it. So no point in having one.

I don't know about the value of the badges, other than to say like anything. They're worth what someone is willing to pay.

That said, does the head tube of your bike have holes where a badge would have been?

The bike on the left in the ad, I think would have the black with red circle and silver. "V" the one on bottom one over from the right.

The bike on the right in the ad wouldn't have one, the tank bezel would cover it. So no point in having one.

I don't know about the value of the badges, other than to say like anything. They're worth what someone is willing to pay.

That said, does the head tube of your bike have holes where a badge would have been?

No it does not. I figured there might have been a non tank version with a Sears badge or something...I doubt I can afford the correct tank and am looking for cheaper yet still fairly correct.

I think any tank for the frame style should work, or some people make something to fit the opening of the frame.
Example of this is OddJob and his use of Plexiglas on his woody build in the mbbo.

Scwhinn Henderson headbadge is very cool. Never seen that one before.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

if you post the serial number we can tell you anything you want to know about this one

Sorry to barge in, but I've been looking for info on my JC Higgins for years. can you find the year for this? Looks like model 7600.
higgins%20001%20-%20Copy_zpscne3iy43.jpg

Latest posts

Back