Hercules Rat Rod Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this Hercules 3 speed bike over the weekend. It is in rough shape but the Archer hub was in good shape. I plan on adding a brooks saddle, get the hub working again, straighting the rims out, and get some new tires. I am leaving the frame as is it. Should be a fun project.

yea021.jpg

yea024.jpg

yea022.jpg

I found a serial number on the rear drop-out. 8518MV Does anyone know of a Hercules archive? The Sturmey-Archer 3 speed hub on it is stamped 60 5. I am guessing this bike was made in 1960? Well, my friend ordered the cable and stuff to get the hub working again and I plain on trying to get the wheels straightened out this weekend. I also put a Brooks B-72 saddle on it. Seems things are coming together for this bike. Alot better than my late 30's Murray :roll:

Also, does anyone know where you can get Hercules decals?

Thanks

I picked up this Hercules 3 speed bike over the weekend. It is in rough shape but the Archer hub was in good shape. I plan on adding a brooks saddle, get the hub working again, straighting the rims out, and get some new tires. I am leaving the frame as is it. Should be a fun project.

yea021.jpg

yea024.jpg

yea022.jpg
I love these old Hercules bikes. You can do a lot of different things with them. I stripped the paint off my head badge and left it just polished brass and silver solder. Mine was originally a 3 speed but now it is a single speed. Its so light I don't need gears. I think mine is also from 1960s or perhaps late 50s?

You're right, that's a 1960 bike. The forks and frame look nice and straight. There's no chart for the serial numbers that I have ever found, the SA hub date is what everyone uses. It's a Birmingham made Hercules, made just before Raleigh bought out all the other smaller brands. I call those "real Hercules" and yours also has the H in the chain ring. They had a Hercumatic thumb shifter that looked and worked just like the Sturmey Archer shifter. After 1960, they were still good bikes though but made by Raleigh.

As for getting the hub going again, use plenty of light oil right in the axle where the shift chain goes and in the port. It probably has old grease hardened up in there, so it may not get loosened up and shifting nicely right away. You may want to try some penetrating oil to help. If it has problems after that, I would take it to a bike shop and let them overhaul it. You could also take it apart and do it yourself, but it's a complicated piece of machinery.

Its so light I don't need gears. I think mine is also from 1960s or perhaps late 50s?

1960 or earlier, yours has the H chain wheel and the fork crown also that ID's it as made in Birmingham, so it's an older model. If you still have the original 3 speed wheel, look on the hub shell for a 2 digit date stamp.

1960 or earlier, yours has the H chain wheel and the fork crown also that ID's it as made in Birmingham, so it's an older model. If you still have the original 3 speed wheel, look on the hub shell for a 2 digit date stamp.
I only got the frame, no wheels. I got it on this forum last year at this time. Crank pins were frozen and in backwards so they were drilled out. The head tube was dented from someone pounding on it to remove the frozen bearing cups, but I fell in love with it and saved it.

I only got the frame, no wheels. I got it on this forum last year at this time. Crank pins were frozen and in backwards so they were drilled out. The head tube was dented from someone pounding on it to remove the frozen bearing cups, but I fell in love with it and saved it.

Great save. That is quite a transformation from a neglected frame to the complete bike you built.

Yep a good frame to save.

The crank pins (cotters) can go in either direction, as long as they are opposite from the other side.

I remember that frame in the classified section. Great work! What a transformation.

Back