Hercu-stein

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned up my '65 Hercules frame and I grew attached to it so the next build will be a 58' vintage S.A. Dyno-Hub front, 69' Sturmey Archer 5 speed racer with fixie style chopped and flipped 10 speed bars.

Before:

P1011380.jpg

Here's a mockup with a 58' Dyno-Hub on Raleigh pattern 26" x 1-3/8" rims. The rear wheel is temporary while I refurb. the five speed and assemble a wheel.

Fred get out of the picture!
P1011427.jpg

That's better.

P1011428.jpg

P1011430.jpg

More parts!

P1011444.jpg

Scored a bell crank for the 5 speed from Harris Cyclery in MA. Great sturmey source.

P1011445.jpg

Her-cu-matic shifter. I'll run this for the right side and a derailuer style shifter for the left. Sheldon says thats the ticket!

P1011441.jpg

Cool! I like the simplicity as of now. Did you say that is a Dyno hub? How common are those? It looks identical to my unmarked drum brake hub which finding parts for has been a nightmare. If you could pm me several pictures of the drum brake hub (the axle, cones, and pad assembly) that would be a huge help. Great bike!

A Dyno-Hub is actually a hub based generator that powers lights. Sheldon Brown's site that has a wealth of info on Sturmey Archer stuff, both Dyno-Hubs and drum brakes. Try the Sturmey Archer site also, they have a great history section full of pics and exploded diagrams. Post some pics of what you have, this site is chuck full of vintage bike geniuses. I don't know much about drum brakes except that I want one!

Heres some pics of my 61' Raleigh equipped with a S.A. Dyno-Hub. There really cool and practically frictionless. The wires attach to those 2 silver bolts in that dark section and go to the lights.

P1011070.jpg

P1011081.jpg

BTW, I like your quote. Not many realize were a Republic, not a Democracy.

Sorry, I saw one side and it looked just like my drum brake hub, so I assumed it was. :oops: Thanks for the response, I have never seen such a thing as a wheel hub generator, that's a great idea. I will definitely try the SA site and Sheldon Brown's, thanks for those ideas. I should definitely post my problem here as well, someone out there probably knows exactly what make hub I have and if parts would be available anywhere. My axle is way too far gone by to fix... I am considering having a new one and new cones machined. (I am not entirely sure that's possible unfortunately...)

Thanks for the compliment about the quote. :D

Finally loosened the ball ring on the five speed hub so I can refurb it. Built myself some helpful tools in the process.

In the homemade hub vice:

P1011456.jpg

The homemade spanner:

P1011457.jpg

Works great:

P1011459.jpg

Leverage Big Wrench style:

P1011460.jpg

ej599 said:
Scored a bell crank for the 5 speed from Harris Cyclery in MA. Great sturmey source.

P1011445.jpg

was that thing really $18? my local bike shop sells em for $4 (also a great resource for sturmey stuff -old or new)
i'd hate to find out what he charges for the hubs themselves :(

great project, which model hub are you using?

I'm running (hopefully) a 5 speed 1969 Sturmey S-5 hub. The bell crank goes on the left with an indicator chain on the right-like a 3 speed. Here's a pic from the S.A. site.

pic-104-s.jpg

I assumed it was kind of rare as I never saw one before. But if I paid $18 fo a $4 part then here's my new name tag!

102-207.jpg

What's the name of your shop?

The Big Wrench:

Weight: 9 lbs.
Length: 25"
Max. open: 2.5"

Rusted fork nuts tremble at the site of this thing.

P1011463.jpg

Bikes looks to have a "slight" rake, nice. Really glad that you share your knowledge, of this style of bikes and hubs. Don't know if I'm ready to tackle my 5 spd hub (like yours). And If Fred gets in your hair, I'll take him for a couple of weeks. :wink:

Well, got the bars cut, got a spoke cut to replace the one broken on shortside of the dyno hub. had it done at Clark Cycle in Essex. They have a spoke cutter there. good place. I also got the shifter functional and mounted.

P1011508.jpg

I also built a seat post out of 304 Stainless Steel. A shim also.

P1011518.jpg

P1011522.jpg

P1011523.jpg

22 tooth sprocket, it's hilly out here.

P1011510-1.jpg

P1011509.jpg

P1011511.jpg

P1011512.jpg

Inside the S.A. 5 speed.

P1011476.jpg

The dreaded pawl springs.

P1011477-1.jpg

These pinion gears actually have 'timing' marks on them and I discovered if you don't have them aligned correctly the hub won't spin.

P1011478-1.jpg

P1011479.jpg

All reassembled and ready for a hoop. The 3 speed side works and the low-high side appears to.

P1011526.jpg

More progress. I actually unlaced a perfectly good 3 spd. wheel to get this hoop. I figured the 5 spd. was worth it.

P1011527.jpg

In order to test the 5 spd over and under drive I had to work the 3 speed side. This worked good.

P1011531-1.jpg

Back