Help with trek wheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 97 trek 6500 with skinny matrix guru wheels
- they are only drilled to
Accept presta valves - I want to switch to Schrader valves - can they be drilled out ?

Ppl drill this out all the time.....and the bikes' next owners cuss ppl out for it all the time, too. You can do it, unless we're talking about a very skinny rim.... but I'd suggest leaving it. What tires are you running? Skinny tires need high pressure, and presta valves are better for high psi...

It was running 26 x 1.95 -which were shoehorned on there very tightly, was a fight to get hem off - and the rims are very skinny - look more
Like road rims to me

Last edited:
10690288_10201623165459225_6615152143009337482_n.jpg

10406354_10201572861721663_2511944818687311607_n.jpg

-this is the bicycle they were on - trek 1997 zx 6500

-the internet says these rims were most likely original, but i dont get why a mountain bike would have such narrow rims ?? with them valves in them ?? i thought those thinner rims, and the presta valves were mainly used on road bikes?

i am aware of the adapters, but they are a pain in the neck and i quite frankly hate the presta valves, and want rims with schrader ( standard) valves - but im concerned thatthese rims are too thin to handle the new tires i want to use for off road use - 26-1.95 kenda extreeme - i dont know if they will seat on the rim or not

** for the time being i have switched these rims off the 6500 and added the ones from my trek 800 mountian track - so i can at least ride my new to me bike, LOL
[800 was just sitting in my rack ,waiting for a fork repair anyways]

Last edited:
They are the correct rims,many of the better MTB 26" rims will have presta valves. Depending on the rim you should have no problem drilling them. Can you post a pic of the valve hole ?

Those Treks were also used for touring,which could explain the narrow rims. You can get 26" tires for them down to 1.125" maybe narrower. Those tires are in the 90- 100 PSI range,hence the Presta valve.

I gotta say that most decent mtb rims, with the exception of some downhill-specific models, will have presta valves. Snobby mtb afficionados look upon most schrader-equipped mtbs with contempt.

I prefer presta valves in most every situation. I do run some Sun MTX-33 rims, which tend to be drilled for schrader, but most of my stuff is presta. I have at least one Worksman INB with presta valves....

Those rims are narrow. You probably could drill them out, but I don't understand why you would. It's not like presta tubes are hard to find.... like woods and dunlop valve bike tubes are....

You may run into an issue with the schrader stem + the 2 tire beads all trying to fit in that small space. Drilling it wont be an issue, but fitting all in there might be.

Tim

Let me tell you a little story....

I'm a huge fan of Panasonic bicycles, as are some of the guys I ride with. Recently, my friend Paul went to his neighbour's yardsale and picked up a 1987 Panasonic DX4000 in real good shape. https://plus.google.com/photos/ DarinNederhoff/albums/5238286111793876289/5238286407317270418?banner=pwa&pid=5238286407317270418&oid=102108090961907588374
It's almost all there; they guy had some cruiser saddle on it, but he swears he has the OG white leather saddle somewhere. (The neighbor was the original owner)--maybe, someday, Paul will get that saddle, or maybe he'll just buy a white Rolls and be happy.. The tires have been changed to similar road skinnies, i think the bar tape is original, but the bike is exceptionally clean, it's exactly Paul's size, and we're all a little jealous....

The only thing that bothers Paul about the bike is that the original owner had drilled out the xxx-hott grey ano Araya SS45 rims to accept Schrader valves. It pretty much works OK; the rims are definitely skinnier than the ones on Randallace's Trek, and the beads don't interfere with the valve (or vice versa), which is hardly surprising if you consider where the valve sits, relative to the bead-seat. Paul is running presta valves, and he uses the little round, knurled washers to keep the valve stems in-place over the enlarged hole. I guess, what it boils down to is, the "mod" worked, and aside from being ugly and potentially wiggley at the valve stem, there's only 1 drawback to the rims being drilled out:

Paul and all of his friends now think that Paul's neighbour is an idiot.

Be a smart guy. Buy some presta tubes, and the little valve adaptor if your pump isn't presta-capable

Last edited:
Ha, great story. I agree, perhaps its because I'm an MTB snob. Gotta run presta. I like being able to run higher psi on the road with it being more reliable and at the same time being able to drop psi faster and easier on a trail. I agree with 808's bottom line. Best solution, IMHO

As a reformed Presta snob I say, "Drill, baby, Drill!"

On my casual/commuter bikes I've come to prefer the convenience of any compressor, any time, without fiddlin' with an adaptor. ;)

Back