Help with this 30's? Elgin...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help IDing and putting a valuation on this bike. Described as late 30's Elgin. Has a Morrow rear hub, Troxel seat, and 28" wheels with Allstate Crusaders on the bike now. I asked for the date stamp off the hub from the owner. He doesn't know anything about the bike other than it was his dads. he's asking $500. On to the pics...

01010_1qB88S9lxZG_600x450.jpg

00k0k_gsRpctoZCqy_600x450.jpg

00y0y_8OGrIcKzdi2_600x450.jpg

00i0i_lPYHLyZ7qZX_600x450.jpg

00C0C_apwjA1pk6kg_600x450.jpg

01414_lW7nfmF1cBu_600x450.jpg

01313_ftf0GSvlqa7_600x450.jpg

I've done some extensive digging and this bike appears to be from 1912 or very close to there. I was able to date the hub based on more information provided by the owner. I wish I had the cash for this bike now. Makes me sad to have such a gem pop up close to me and not be able to grab it...

Yeah I found a lot of information on the CABE. I don't really post over there or read that forum much but I often look there for info. A few threads on there are what helped me date the hub. I noticed the fork. I'd be interested to see what you guys think this is worth still. The owner is pretty stuck on $500. Honestly I don't think that's a crazy asking price but maybe I'm nuts... I've wanted a camelback for a super longtime to do a vintage urban racer build.

Not really a Camelback. It's a Pre-Balloon Motor Bike. I think he's asking way too much. I would consider that price if I really wanted it bad and it was Original in real nice shape. However, this is the Midwest and prices may vary.

RatSphinx said:
Not really a Camelback. It's a Pre-Balloon Motor Bike. I think he's asking way too much. I would consider that price if I really wanted it bad and it was Original in real nice shape. However, this is the Midwest and prices may vary.

What would you value it at? Stuff tends to be pretty expensive here and bikes like this don't pop up often...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I don't know that I can price it in your area of the country. I'm a lifelong Midwesterner. You guys on the East Coast(ish) area are getting your backsides ripped open on a regular basis. I've been to Philly before, but it was prior to 1979. If I were to guess, I'd say $350.00 (for you) would be a fair deal. If it was sold in my area, it would be tough to get $200.00 out of it.

its a circa 1920 davis made elgin.$500 is about right.its a good bike to have.davis made harley davidson bikes too.that fork can be bent back.

Latest posts

Back