Help with Raleigh Fork.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am having an issue with my 72' Raleigh LTD-3. It's handlebars and fork are very misaligned. I need to losen and/or remove the handlebars and fork to adjust them. I have been able to losen it enough to reveal the bearings on the handlebar side and the fork side. But that is as far as it will go. Neither the handlebars or the fork will move, it does not look rusted or anything but it just will not budge. I even hit it with a mallet a few times with no luck.
They are so misaligned that I cannot ride this bike unless it is fixed. Any suggestions?
I can get pictures if they are needed. :)

Put the head bearing back together. Unscrew the stem bolt about 1/4", DO NOT REMOVE IT COMPLETELY, and whack it down w/a hammer. If it doesn't move, spray some PB Blaster or other penetrating oil inside, let it sit awhile and try again.

The part that holds the handle bars is called a stem. It has a wedge piece on the bottom.
When the center bolt is tightened it wedges inside the fork tube so it won't move.
When you loosen that center bolt some and whack it with a hammer lightly it will push
the wedge down inside the fork tube and then the whole thing should slide out. Tighten
it up in reverse order. Get it like you want it and tighten the bolt and it should tighten the
stem and stop it from moving. :wink:

Is the center bolt on the top of the handelbars? If so I have be able to completely remove it. But when it is removed a piece inside the stem becomes loose and floats around everywhere but the handlebars and fork still do not move at all.
Sorry about my descriptions, I am still pretty new to fixing bikes and do not really know the names for things. lol

The bolt head is in the middle top of the stem. Most have a separate bolt that tightens
up and hold the handle bars. If you take the center bolt out it will let the wedge drop
down into the fork. It will be a 4 or 5 inch long bolt when you take it out. The stem may still
not come out. They get corroded in the neck, and that is why they are telling you to put
PB Blaster ...WD40 or Liquid wrench in there for a while and then try to break it loose
with side turning pressure. Some never come loose.

If the wedge fell off, then all that's holding the stem from turning is rust and possibly some distortion in the head tube. Some times they are so bad that you have to cut the stem to get it apart, but repeated effort will usually get it off eventually.

Back