Help With Hand Brake Please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy guys,

I'm thinking about putting a hand brake on my current bike, a Schwinn Cruiser Four frame. It doesn't have a front or back fork capable of having a normal dual pivot brake. It seems like it would be easiest to put a brake on the rear wheel, because the little cross piece between the two prongs of the rear fork has a hole in it that I think a single pivot brake might fit on. It has to be a pretty big brake too, because I've got a big tire on the rear wheel and the little cross bar is a good distance away from the actual rim of the wheel. Any suggestions on finding brakes that would fit this bike?

-nuts n' bolts

P.S. I've found a few websites that have what seems like the brake I'm looking for. How do I know if the right size? What do I measure besides the width of my wheel/tire? Sorry I'm so lame at this, but I've never done it before. Any help is appreciated.

Another thing, although this is usualy in dealing with road bikes. But, The reach. The measurment from that cross section to about the middle of your rim. Most road bike brakes will list a min. and max. reach. For your application, as long as it clears your tire, you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back