Help with body filler?? Or is it to late?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... So Bondo is new to me... I slopped some on a frame and sanded it down.. looked pretty good till I shot the primer on.. Now it looks horrible... you can see all the edges and there are pits and problems that glare now that it has some surface reflection... So what do I do now? can i touch it up with some spot putty or do I have to sand it back? I am going rattle can this flat black so my hope its it wont glare as bad once its got color...

sand the primer off the area you need to touch up, add more filler, sand it til you like it, clean the bike up again , reprimer where needed.

You can also use a glazing filler. It is precatalyzed filler in a tube that is meant to fill small imperfections, and can be applied on top of primer. After the big holes are filled you can use a few coats of high build sandable primer.
Bodywork is an artform just like metalwork and it takes time to master.

the product you use after bondo is called nitrostain. It's usually a red pasty goo that fills in the cracks, I always prime over bondo, then nitrostain and then wet sand with 600 grit paper......

body work is fun.

okay...i know others have made suggestions but(i am an a.s.e. /icar certified collision repair tech)the problem is the mud wasnt feathered out enough and thats why you have a sharp line(when doing mud use your hands to feel not your eyes too see* or if you cant feel to well use a mist coat of primer and sand and it will highlight any waves,pinholes or deep sand scratches*) im going to suggest a glazing putty for the problems but i wouldnt use the bondo brand glaze thats premixed.........its a laquer based product and will shrink back eventually and it take forever to dry. go with evercoats glazing putty and blue hardener.....
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pc-1096 ... d-420.aspx
they might carry it at a napa or rebies near you(ours did for a long time) when you get however much you think you need to fill the bad spots lay a ribbon of the hardener across length ways and mix until a uniform blue(about 45 seconds.......dont stir it though thatll just give you more pinholes) use a razor blade(im guessing its on a bike though.....so you fingers will probably give you the best results around seams where tubes meet)let dry about 10-15 min. and sand with 220/240 grit paper.......when you feel that its good shoot your primer and dont forget to guide coat it(mist coat of a different color primer or paint) to make sure everythings cool then when its dry sand with 320/400 grit paper and you should be good to go(if not repeat process until youre happy with it)
hope this helps!

Right on.... It did. I am fairly happy for my first go around and have much better info for next time..

Thanks much!!

Latest posts

Back