HELP!!! Rust issues

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of course the stem is rusted and stuck in fork
I tried unscrewing the rod and it snapped off,
I then cut off stem, now I can not remove what is left inside, I have
tried pb blaster rust dissolver and hitting the wedge with different
objects and obtained no results the left over stem is just as stuck
Is there any other thing I can do to remove stem?
Any rust dissolver I can leave fork soaking in?

There is a hole but a tiny one, going to hardware store to get a long thick nail to pound it out
thanks.
This is my first build, the fork is the reason I bought the bike :D

Since the stem is cut off now, you might consider getting a good drill bit desigened for use on metal. You can drill the bolt out of the wedge and this will allow the wedge to come free from the leftovers of the stem. It will render the wedge useless though, and is a last resort for if you are unable to beat that sucker out. I'm guessing the nail will bend before that stem moves though.

Cameron, any experience with this mixture? What happens if it hits the paint?

Sounds like it's worth a try, since I think I have some of both in the garage.

After all my cans of "Rust Busters" deflate (PB Blaster WD-40 etc.) I puncture the can with a hammer/nail on the bottom rim through a rag to avoid sprayback.

Pour all the remains in the same jar.(and some ATF from a leftover bottle)

I slather it on with a brush and let it soak.

Those rusty nuts never broke mine.

WOW! I finally got it out of there, thanks to your suggestions and of course a little sweat off my brow.
so I beat the wedge down further got punch stuck :cry: then I made the fender bolt hole bigger and beat in the other direction and heated the steering tube for a while and beat anyway I could. It moved about 1/4" and then nothing. Then I started with the hacksaw blade as suggested, I cut to make it into two pieces, then heated and cut some more. I squeezed the "two" pieces together with vise grips added oils and lubes and well...I got it out of there :mrgreen: . The keys I believe were the cutting, oil, and beating but the heating probably didn't hurt.
THANKS GUYS!!!!!

Back