HELP!!!! Recurring flat, 3 times in 3 weeks!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really pissed-off!!!!! :x

Got another flat on the rear yesterday coming back from a nice night out with the girlfriend!! Getting to the point were I can't use the bike, 3 times in 3 weeks. All the same, 2 spokes away from the valve hole, on the spoke side, a long (1/2 inch) straight tear (looks like a seam but leaks air).

I had the wheel relaced with the nexus 8 hub before using the bike, got the first flat 2 weeks later. Changed the tube, one week later another. Looked like the spokes were sticking out too far (4-5mm of poke into the rim strip) so LBS, ground them down for me. Fitted the new tube and BANG, another yesterday!!!!

The rim is 30mm wide, fitted with cloth and rubber rim strip, tires are 2.35 x 26 project 346 balloon and now the bumps in the rim strip are about 2mm. Looking at the rim, everything is clean, no foreign matter in the rim strip or anywhere.

Any ideas? Is the rim too narrow and pinching the tube? Do I need to be extra careful when fitting the tube?

Heeeeeelp :cry:

I use baby powder on all the tubes I install.

I air the tubes up first just until they hold a round shape then slip it into the tire/rim starting at the valve stem.

Get the valve stem in there first then screw the cap on so it dose'nt pull out as you gently work the tube in there.

Try not to use any pry bars?screwdrivers or anything sharp to seat the tire.(could puncture the tube) I've done most of them by hand.

At all times make sure the valve stem always stays straight.

Air it up SLOWLY at a low pressure about 20...deflate.Work the bead around.

Air it up again to tube/tire specs.

Oh yeah...baby powder rubbed on the inside of the tire wont hurt either.

Cool thanks for that :D

I'll chuck the 24 inch rear from the Sparker on for a few days until my 80mm rim arrives :D

Oh yeah...

Check ihe inside of the tire very carefully to make sure there isnt anything poking through.

Let your fingers be your eyes.

clamdigger said:
did you say two rim strips on the same rim,one cloth and one rubber? how wide?

The cloth one is pretty narrow, only covers the spokes. The rubber one comes up to the sides.

A new development is that I think that the spokes are loose on the wheel, I fitted the wheel from the Sparker and the drivetrain noise (that I thought was coming from a couple sticky links on the chain) has disappeared and some spokes have go a bit of play.

The guy who re-laced the wheel told me to come back to him for a check and re-tension after a week or so after. It seemed fine so I didn't bother. Looks like I'm gonna have to go.

protruding and rattling loose spokes- sounds like a heckuva wheel build....

this is why "LBS" is generally used as an epithet on bicycle forums........ :(

Well found a closer and better LBS :D

He checked the wheel, spokes where loose and with the weight of the Basman he reckoned that was the problem.

Bike feels nice and smooth now. I'll be taking the stuff to him for the next modifications.

Thanks to everyone for all the help

Back