help on i.d. for semi-cantilever frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all

friend has an older bike, serial number on BB is 8-4257 (dash is actually a sideways 1), it has a CCM chainring on it but not only does it not match up to any CCM's I've researched, the serial number also doesn't jive with any CCM serial number chart I've looked at. So I'm thinking it may be an assemblage of parts on a mystery frame. Of note are the curved seat stays that join the top tube just fore of the seat mast.

Any thoughts?

I can't quite tell from the pics, but if the rear frame stays come together in front of the seat tube, it's a Shelby. -Adam

hi guys

thanks for the info!

Checked out the JC Higgins angle, close but couldn't find a match. The Shelby is even closer, however all of them that I looked at had the middle tube joining the top tube right before the seat mast, while on this frame it joins the seat mast and notches a bit into the top tube. Again very close though, especially to a Flying Cloud. Also looked at Coulsons, no luck.

Still looking!

cheers

greg v.

It doesn't look like a shelby. Those were y framed in front of the seat tube essentially tilting the seat tube back. This looks like the seat stays terminate and cap at the side/in front of the seat tube.

There are a few frames that have the two top tubes meet at or near the seat tube, but this frame is not like either of those.

I can't say I've ever seen a frame with the characteristics of this one. The seat tubes and top tubes joint are the key to this frame. Just never seen them together like that.

Maybe it is a European frame not seen in the US?

I'm guessing it IS a CCM, the fork crown looks like the type some older ones used. Also, the white trim on the frame looks like the type of accents they used.

Back