Help needed, if possible please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys ,have recently brought two bikes off of e bay over here in the uk after 3 weeks of trying to find something to keep me occupied through the fast approaching months.
I've brought a dilapidated women's 1960's Sears Flight-line (not sure of actual year yet as seller wasn't to sure and I have yet to pick them up, as over 400 miles away ( nothings on your door step over here it seems )
The other bike is a 1950's? Huffy cypress in a dark greeny bluey colour,the seller of this bike told me it was quite rare and he has had it powder coated in its original colours.

Ive been trying to find some background on this bike and have come up with nothing so far!!! can anyone in the know, shed some light on this for me or have I been stung? thinking I was getting a good deal on a old American cruiser when really it could be from the mid eighties or even newer???

Will post some pictures up when I eventually get the bikes next Sunday

Cheers Boys :D
Lee

Hi
Thanks for the reply,yes thats the one Ive brought ,is it definitely from the era its was sold as ? Ive a gut feeling it may be newer.The Sears should still be on there too but it was advertised as a Schwinn.

Anymore info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

like I said.. any spaceliner frame is gonna be pre 74, and that huffy looks to be late 70's or 80's to me, but I'm just judging by the forks...

I'm not sure when Huffy started making Schwinn cantilever style frames, but it would have been the very late 50's at the earliest, when Schwinn's patent ran out. That fork is definitely 80's or later, but that could have been changed. The front hub looks new, and the rims look too square and narrow for a 50's bike to me, but they also may have been replaced. There's not enough detail in the pics or a # or # location to date the main frame.

Everything on the Huffy besides the seat looks like a 70s-80s Good Vibrations cruiser. I bought one new, on sale for $69.95 in 1996. The rear dropouts look to have triangular cutouts in them, a 50s frame would have solid ones cut out of flat stock, with a hole or two for a fender or rack brace. -Adam

I have to agree with the others that the Huffy is probably an 80's or 90's bike.

Schwinn sold a similar bike in the same era badged "Cruiser". Looks like Huffy was copying them here. Huffy has always been something of a cheap model here, and maker of bikes for department stores, nothing high end.

It's interesting that they painted the frame and not the guard. I'm sure the decals aren't available so the chainguard is not a repaint. The fork design gives the bike away as a newer bike, though I guess the fork could have been changed. I think the original pedals have had the reflectors pulled out of them.

Good luck with the projects, let us know what other clues you find.

--Rob

OK Gentlemen
Thanks for your views, got the feeling I've been duped on the actual age of this bike but wont be able to actually confirm anything until I eventually pick it up and can give it a thoroughgoing over for a serial number.or two.

At the end of the day its only money and can only blame my naivety on its purchase .

Great site by the way

Keep rolling fellas

they'll both make great winter projects. end of story and exacty what you were looking for.
:)

live and learn.

I think that Brooks saddle is worth as much as the rest of the bike. Do you have a link to the ebay sale for the Flightliner? Flightliners and Spaceliners bikes are very desirable bikes--especially if they have the chrome frame and the original tank with horn and lights.

Latest posts

Back