Help identifying a Hawthorne we got for a steal...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

So the man and I were out ridin' today and spied something curious sticking out of the back of a junk-piled truck. Further investigation led to finding this beauty - a 24" (edit: may be 26" frame with 24" wheel set?) Hawthorne in excellent shape, complete with tank, horn, fenders and rear rack. It's missing the skiptooth chain and a lens for the light, and possibly a skirt guard. BUT LOOK AT THOSE SPRINGERS!! Wow.

Best part? We got it for $30. Delivered to our house.

Since I know the databases of Hawthorne serial numbers are really wonky due to the multiple manufacturers, I'm hoping someone here might be able to help us nail down a general idea of how old this girl is.

Serial number: F15529

Photos:

108eh5z.jpg

4tac1f.jpg

2mahxc.jpg

2elup1c.jpg

KZ1000 said:
looks like you have a 26" bike with 24" tires, nice save.

Thanks! And we were also wondering about the 24"/26" question. The back looks like it could definitely hold a 26" wheel, but not sure on the front. I'm also fairly sure Hawthorne made a 24" ladies' bike but perhaps they might have offered the option to put a 24" wheel set on the 26" frame? Fairly sure these are the original wheels, but I'm really not well-versed enough on Hawthornes to know either way. Any insight?

The wheels look like they are off of a Murray or a Huffy. Definitely the wrong wheels. Very nice find though. Won't take much to fix this one right.

ratina said:
I'm gonna guess late 50, early 51. Is there an A Cw stamped after the number? AWESOME save, I'm jealous. Should have 26" wheels.

Heres what your rack supports should look like (probably have to buy another rack to get them as I bet they are hard to find)

Those rack supports are sick! Wow. I just checked the serial no. again and there is nothing stamped after it. What does that mean?

Your bike is wicked. I'm curious about the Hiawatha chain guard - it's the same exact shape as our Hawthorne here.

bananared said:
ratina said:
I'm gonna guess late 50, early 51. Is there an A Cw stamped after the number? AWESOME save, I'm jealous. Should have 26" wheels.

Heres what your rack supports should look like (probably have to buy another rack to get them as I bet they are hard to find)

Those rack supports are sick! Wow. I just checked the serial no. again and there is nothing stamped after it. What does that mean?

Your bike is wicked. I'm curious about the Hiawatha chain guard - it's the same exact shape as our Hawthorne here.

Can you post a clear picture of the rear dropout and the rear bridge where the fender mounts, and the serial number. I'm not sure why the A Cw wouldn't be there, the parts match that era.

My guard is the same because it was built by Cleveland Welding as well. There main brand was Roadmaster, but they also badged there bikes as Hawthornes, Hiawathas, and Western Flyers. Hawthornes were sold at Montgomery Wards, Hiawathas were sold at Gambles, and Western Flyers were sold at Western Auto tire stores

Bananared nice score! maybe I'll see it on one of the Denver Cruiser Rides this summer Say hi to Seth,Damon,Alex,Brad,Austin and the rest of the gang from Emily R's Dad!

ratina said:
Can you post a clear picture of the rear dropout and the rear bridge where the fender mounts, and the serial number. I'm not sure why the A Cw wouldn't be there, the parts match that era.

My guard is the same because it was built by Cleveland Welding as well. There main brand was Roadmaster, but they also badged there bikes as Hawthornes, Hiawathas, and Western Flyers. Hawthornes were sold at Montgomery Wards, Hiawathas were sold at Gambles, and Western Flyers were sold at Western Auto tire stores

On closer inspection (read: blowing up a photo to massive proportions...) it looks like it's an AC after the serial number.

check it out:

dh741y.jpg

And here's the dropout and bridge:

2u5zy4h.jpg

25aq6ol.jpg

Wow.that is a nice lady bike!
and for the price its perfect.
I have no info to contribute but I hope u find wat u need. :D

Back