Help identifying a couple barn finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A friend just sent me these pictures from his late father in laws garage.

The first bike has a head-badge that reads “BIRD Rowletts”. Rowletts was a bike store here in Richmond that shut down a few years back.

My guess (based on limited experience) is a pre-war Shelby. Would love some help.

The second is a tricycle.

Any help on ID and opinions of value are welcome.

72694948295__4F78DF22-6308-4355-8F4A-C70F0D34CC5E.jpeg

72694949398__5E1B0DB2-9332-49FC-AD7C-BA2EF4A1D96B.jpeg

72694951432__AF992FF5-4CE0-457A-9C99-737DC850DCE9.jpeg

The trike, $30 cleaned up and waxed. Intact pedals are a bonus. Clean the rust off the chrome handlebars, that ithe first thing any buyer will see and it's a turn off. Oil the metal hub on each side. A good selling point is the new tricycles have plastic hubs that don't last very long. They switched to plastic about 20 years ago but same basic tricycle is still being made after 80 years. I have a pile of trikes with no paint that no one wants. A repaint would take far more effort than they are going to sell for. If I ever get really strapped for something to do.

Skip too chains and rear open dropouts are not always "pre-war". It took about 10 years for all the manufacturers to make the change over. A good closeup of the serial number will help. Some makers uses a particular font and some makers have been well documented by now. Most USA manufacturers made bikes for any store or company that wanted them and they often put that stores name on them. Check with a historical society in the store's town or that towns local library. There is so much that was never on the www or was but isn't any more.

The Big Bird bonus is it's a mens frame bike and in pretty good shape. Seems like most of the survivors are girls frames that no one wants.
$300 plus. Finding a matching chain guard would help. I went to the World Championships in Richmond to watch Peter Sagan win. My impression was that Richmond has a pretty good cycling vibe so local value should be good. I met the mayor one time and he called Richmond the murder capitol of the world. I'm sure that has changed, so many contenders...

Latest posts

Back