Help identify this CWC bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBP

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this old CWC bike last December and still haven't heard back from LD on what it was "oiginally." (Kind of worried about him. Hope he is okay. Does anyone know?)

The bike was advertised as a Roadmaster, but I thought it resembled a Hawthorne (ie: chainguard and sprocket). Guessing the tires are original (also steering my thoughts toward a Hawthorne as they are Montgomery Ward brand tires).

The Serial Number is J80291 Cw. Not ACw - just Cw. The fenders are definitely wrong - they are middleweights. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!!

CWCphoto.jpg

I think its a luxury liner roadmaster, I am pretty sure the sprocket is wrong. it dosn't match hiawatha, western flyer, roadmaster or hawthorne. looks early 50s to late 50s.

Nickinator said:
I think its a luxury liner roadmaster, I am pretty sure the sprocket is wrong. it dosn't match hiawatha, western flyer, roadmaster or hawthorne. looks early 50s to late 50s.
Thinking if it were the late 50s, the insigne would indicate a number before the CW. It is my understanding (and I could certainly be wrong) that prior to 1950, the Cleveland Welding insignia on the bottom of the crank included the serial number followed by Cw. Then, sometime in late 50, 51 they started identifying AMF's purchase by stamping ACw after the serial number. Ultimately replacing the "A" with the model year after 1952. If it is true, it would be an early 50s at the oldest, possibly? It's a mystery to me.

From the research I've done so far, I've been told that the sprocket may be Snyder since both CW and Snyder built Hawthornes for Monkey Ward. Totally confused.

On a side note Nick (and/or Darcie ... I never know who I'm talking to [laughs]. I was thinking about rebuilding it as a Luxury Liner... but wanted to keep it as original as possible - thus hoping beyond hope to find out what it really was back in the day.

MBP said:
On a side note Nick (and/or Darcie ... I never know who I'm talking to [laughs]. I was thinking about rebuilding it as a Luxury Liner... but wanted to keep it as original as possible - thus hoping beyond hope to find out what it really was back in the day.
Its nick lol, I would guess early 50s aswell, with the dropouts it fits that it would be a early 50s.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Does the chainring look like a Huffman?

In any event, that's a cool ride, love me some CWCs!

Cheers,
Dr. T

I took a look at the 49' Huffman on Dave's Vintage Bicycles [below]
The rear rack and chainring do appear to be Huffman. Thanks.
194920huffman20dial-your-ride20orig201_zpscc86605c.jpg

ratina said:
Can you post a close up shot of the rear dropouts?

The "Cw" stamp was used from 47-49

And without a headbadge or original paint, you'll never know what it was. Could be Hiawatha, Hawthorne, Western Flyer, or a Roadmaster
I'll post some close ups sometime this evening. I'll try to see what the original color was too. Thanks.

ratina said:
The sprocket looks like a Cleveland Welding sprocket. Here is a 54 I had a while back. I also have a 46 with the same sprocket.

Yep. There it is. Althought the Huffman appears similar, mine is not a skip tooth. It is definitely in-line with what I'm seeing in your picture. Thanks Ben.

Back