help for brake on surfside needed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a huffy surfside from a neighbor kid who was starting to make it into a bmx bike. He dissembled the coaster brake, then reassembled it when I said I would buy it. Naturally it didn't go back together right. I rode it 2 blocks when the brake froze up. :cry: The wheel wont turn forward or reverse. After 3 days sitting, it would move less than 2 revolutions and then locked up again.

I snipped a pic of the coaster brake diagram, but have absolutely no experience here. any Ideas to make my task of getting a running bile easier? {short of asking him to do it, little chance of that}

Thanks for your rime and experience!

bob

That is exactly what it sounds like. The kid got in a hurry to throw it together for you and forgot the brake arm strap. I did the same thing once on a lowrider of mine to have it ready for a show. A friend of mine was riding around in the parking lot. After putting the brakes on two or three times it was fully locked up.

upnorth1 said:
After 3 days sitting, it would move less than 2 revolutions and then locked up again.

Did you expect it to fix itself by sitting for 3 days? :p The adjustable cone on the right side might not have had its lock nut tightened. That would also cause a lockup. Gary

Garty, actually love the sarcasm! ;} my hope was that if the bearings were hot they may have cooled and accordingly shrunk a tiny bit. actually got the problem solved, the nuts securing said hub to frame were way too tight. Loosened and works great now! :D

thanks

bob

Back