Hello from the 757... Chesapeake, VA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I stumbled onto your awesome site while researching ideas for my project bike. As soon as I started reading some of the project threads I was hooked. You guys have definitely rekindled my love for bicycles. When I was younger in Middle school and High school I spent every free moment working on my and my friends bikes (when I wasn't riding them of course). My parent's were far from wealthy when I was growing up so the bikes that I had were usually cobbled together from spare parts that I would get from friends and acquaintances in exchange for working on their bikes or old beater store brand bikes from yard sales. Usually for my friends I would install upgraded gear on their bikes for them and in exchange they would let me keep the old parts for myself. I never really had anything I would consider a really nice bike and even to this day my current ride is just an old Trek 820. When I had got a little older my love for bikes evolved into a love for cars. I have been modifying and customizing my cars and dreaming of someday being able to buy a classic truck to work on.

However the turning point came this past Christmas when much to my surprise as a gift my Dad gave me a pile of steel tubing and the plans for the Atomic Zombie Overkill chopper. After reading through the plans a few times I convinced myself to jump headfirst into this project... But I would definitely have to give it my own twist.

That pile of tubing sat in my garage for a couple of weeks while I started scrounging junkyards, flea markets, thrift stores and Craigslist to find suitable donor bikes and spare parts. Then I found my perfect rear wheel and almost instantly idea gelled in my mind and I found a unique direction for this bike. I don't want to give too much away yet since I plan on creating a project thread for it. But I will say it is going to be long, low, and very tough looking when it is completed. Also I sincerely hope this is just the first of many bicycle projects to come. For what it's worth my good friend Rob has been helping me with this project and is seriously thinking about building his own version of this bike for himself... and I told him "why not", that rear wheel did come with an identical twin. So far it is not much more than most of a frame, a pile of old bikes and some wild ideas, but I think it will be awesome once It is done.

Also I just want to say I'm sure there have been many iterations of the Atomic Zombie bikes on this forum but I definitely want to give this one a unique look and feel. I am definitely going to be deviating from his plans quite a bit, but they have definitely given me a great jumping off point for this project.

Thank you, yeah this is a pretty nice area. Not too far from the country, but still big enough that there is always something good going on around here. I've been here since I was in high school, my dad was in the Marine Corps and he ended up retiring here. Before that we lived all over the country, but mostly on the east coast.

Greetings Neighbor! I'm right next door in Va Bch, and some of the nicest and coolest people in the world are right here on this forum. Welcome!

Back