Hello from Portland. New guy here.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I am 35 years old, rider and racer of bikes since the age of five. I made the move from BMX to road to track around 4 years ago. Around that time someone gave me an old Schwinn bike that was heavy as could be. I used it as a bar hopper because I loved the Rat Rod look.
I also own an old Ford Truck and a custom bobber that is ratted out. It is only a matter of time before I got in to doing cruisers. I am not doing much serious riding anymore and it seems silly to me to ride a $2000 bike to the bar or for groceries. Today I started on my cruiser.
I only know it is an old Schwinn. I do not know what kind. Maybe one of you can help me out on this? The tires are 26"x2.125, the crank was one piece, the bars are almost like bobber/half moon style bars. I don't think the forks are original. Anyway here are some pics of the frame, I started sanding it down today. My grand plan as of right now is to have it powder coated a matte cream color, flat red wheels with bricks and flat black or chrome drops with red track grips. I don't know yet if I am going to go with a coaster brake or a Nexus 3 speed internal. Thats the general idea. I am sure it will shift as I get moving which will be slow due to funds.
I hope I am in the right spot. Cheers all. Also, does anyone know how to remove the kickstand? Seems to have this weird triangle thing on the back of it.
a61b5.jpg

bdNYF.jpg

Well, I've forgotten how you take off the stand, seems to me you push the collar inward, pull a pin out the bottom, then scramble through the dirt or under the freezer looking for the missing parts, or something. :lol: Also forget when they changed various mounting details, but offhand, looks like a 60's bike to me. If you can find #'s, this could be of interest. http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101 ... odes1.html

Oh man, thanks. I am going to grab the frame right now and do this.

Thanks guys. Locojoe, I will try the same thing you have there, thank you.
I searched for the bike via the link that was given and it narrowed it down to either a 1953 Wasp or a 1960 Speedster or Spitfire or Wasp. The rear fender looks like the paint job on the 53 Wasp however it is soooo heavy that I think it may be a newsboy special. Might I add that it would suck to carry papers on that thing in a canvas sling bag.

thank you.

Latest posts

Back