Hello from Loowavul Kentucky!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
HI everyone. My name is Daniel, and I am a wandering hobbyist; known for diving into a new hobby, and exiting with a half dozen non-completed projects and a closet full of parts.

My new hobby has been trikes. picked up my first one, an older Trailmate Desoto Classic, as payment for a side job. I've been a fan of trikes from way back, having ridden them at an air filter factory while we were doing electrical work around the building. There they used Schwinn Meridians.

Knowing that my lovely wife would have a problem bringing home another project, I talked my way into convincing her that WE liked at needed it; and although it worked, somewhere in translation it became HER trike.
Fair enough. There are others to pursue.

This led me to purchasing a used 24"Meridian off of Letgo for $90. I'm no wheeler dealer, and for what the landscape was pricing used trikes at in my area, it was a great deal to me.
Alas, it was a bit small for my intentions. Visions of a low rider wouldn't fly here, as the seat post is over the pedals like a bicycle, and the seat had to be raised rather high to pedal comfortably.
Trike #2: the early birthday present for my youngest son.

My son is 5'8", I am 5'9", so he was having the same problem as I was having. The higher seat wasn't a big deal to him; but reaching the bars and all around comfort was a bit of a pain for him. By this time, I have done some research on my next trike, and happened upon a picture of a red Meridian with an old Western Flyer banana seat. BAM! ordered a seat off of eBay, and now my son's woes are gone. He is enjoying riding his trike now!

The pic of that maroon Meridian stuck with me, and I began to search for a 26" Meridian to build a similar style trike; mainly the banana seat, and 20" wheels in the back. It looks like a grown man's big wheel to me, and I dig it.

I purchased what appeared to be a returned Meridian, out of town for $200. It was touted as new in the add, but upon further inspection at home, I found a few blemishes in the paint, some spots with bare aluminum showing. Everything is straight, but something definitely had a run-in with the trike. Still better than the near-retail prices people were asking for theirs in the area.

I have some kooky plans for the trike. Husky Bicycles will be supplying the rear end parts (17mm axle and 20" rear wheels), I ordered some parts from McMaster Carr that I hope will work as an axle extension to fit a 3/5 speed Sturmey hub, and I am mentally fabbing up the parts I will need for the laid back seat extension to pull the Troxel banana seat back about 5".

I'll lay seat extension idea on you guys after work. Lunch is about over. Thanks for your time!

Daniel

Last edited:
Welcome... We like pictures ;)

Can you guys see this pic? Never posted a pic to a forum directly from my phone before. If so, here's my son's trike with the banana seat.

Attachments

• 20161027_181551.jpg
    20161027_181551.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 198
If I may here, lemme throw this seat extension idea at you guys. Nothing has been ordered as of yet, so now is the time to accept/discard the idea.

First, the issues that have led me to the idea:
1- the seat post on this thing is HYOOGE! 30.4MM.
2- the Troxel seat I purchased did not include the post clamp, and the 22mm clamp I have from another seat is too wide to fit in between the tabs in the seat (width measures right at 25mm).

So, after mocking the seat into place, I took some measurements; and it appears that an 11/8" threadless stem, 155mm long, with a 20 degree rise, would mount the seat up right where I mocked it.
To mount the seat to the stem I would cut a piece of 1" diameter hardwood 1" thick, drill the center out 3/8", insert the hardwood into the handlebar portion of the stem, and use a 1/4-20 sex bolt to mount the seat tabs to the hardwood.

My concerns are:
-will it hold my 215lb body (how much weight is really on that piece if I am sitting rearward on the banana seat?)?
-using the original seat post (flupped upside down), what are the odds of it bending? Plans are, as of now, setting the stem right on top of the seat tube.

I'm sure there is a host of other questions that I have not thought of. If there are issues I am not forseeing, please speak up.

The sissy bar will be bringing issues of its own, as those mounts of the seat lie somewhere over the rear axle. I've been storming all kinds of goofy stuff to make that happen. I am definitely open to suggestions there also.

If I may here, lemme throw this seat extension idea at you guys. Nothing has been ordered as of yet, so now is the time to accept/discard the idea.

First, the issues that have led me to the idea:
1- the seat post on this thing is HYOOGE! 30.4MM.
2- the Troxel seat I purchased did not include the post clamp, and the 22mm clamp I have from another seat is too wide to fit in between the tabs in the seat (width measures right at 25mm).

So, after mocking the seat into place, I took some measurements; and it appears that an 11/8" threadless stem, 155mm long, with a 20 degree rise, would mount the seat up right where I mocked it.
To mount the seat to the stem I would cut a piece of 1" diameter hardwood 1" thick, drill the center out 3/8", insert the hardwood into the handlebar portion of the stem, and use a 1/4-20 sex bolt to mount the seat tabs to the hardwood.

My concerns are:
-will it hold my 215lb body (how much weight is really on that piece if I am sitting rearward on the banana seat?)?
-using the original seat post (flupped upside down), what are the odds of it bending? Plans are, as of now, setting the stem right on top of the seat tube.

I'm sure there is a host of other questions that I have not thought of. If there are issues I am not forseeing, please speak up.

The sissy bar will be bringing issues of its own, as those mounts of the seat lie somewhere over the rear axle. I've been storming all kinds of goofy stuff to make that happen. I am definitely open to suggestions there also.
Many ways to solve it. Easiest would be try contact @slowriderz and see if he can help u with a built post to your needs. If you were to try stretch, I'd suggest use a steel slug rather than wood. This if right fitting an be just to set welded, but a full seam would be nice always.. personally cause you seem like you know what you wamt and have intention on keeping it, it's a good investment. I tend to use one of 2 posts, shims when needed, but I like where it puts me in relation to controls and peddle.. lots of answers to be found..
Enjoy

I failed to mention that I did find a stem that works out, but it is aluminum. I tried to find a steel stem, but that was fruitless. replacing the hardwood with aluminum should be easy, and I have a line on someone that could weld it together for me.

Then again, would an aluminum stem support the weight?

I appreciate the response!

Solid steel seat post will be best bet. Aluminum dose not fatigue well. It just crumbles. Is be surprised how reasonable a new post can be for what you get vs ur time and solution. I think he makes most of his stuff from solid stock, so issue is not a big consern regaurding weight. If your high enough off the seat stays you can also run a gusset past the bend like old BMX seats. I do all types of sketchy stuff on my own bikes, I'm accepting if it fails and I go down such is life... I wouldn't put a friend on an aluminum bent post...I weld so may be biased.. but I wouldn't graft tubes together with a hardwood slug connecting them.
I am not the rule or standard though...
Not sure if that helps. Hehe

Welcome aboard!
Your pic worked fine but only appeared as a thumbnail you need to click on to see, when you are ready to post just click the 'show full size' button on the pic before hitting 'post reply'.
:thumbsup:

Luke.

Thanks Luke. I remember seeing that button, now that you mention it. BTW, Flip the Script is downright ludicrous! I can't wait to see the finished product.
Thanks Man! :thumbsup:
Should not be long before it is done, 27 days to the Build-Off deadline!

Luke.

Welcome Daniel,
I am just over in the Lexington area (Nicholasville) and have a trike project in the planning stages. Once I complete my current project I plan on getting right to it. I am already collecting parts. I look forward to seeing more of your builds.

JimK

Shoot, I wouldn't mind coming out that way.

The guy I work for now is based out of Shelbyville; and we do a bit of work in Frankfort and Lex. Spent a good month working second shift at a parking garage catty corner to Rupp Arena.
Anymore, that trip to Lexington doesn't seem like a big deal at all.

Back