Hello from Indiana!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was a kid I lived on my bike. Heck...I lived for my bike.

I wasn't cool enough to get a job at the local bike shop and I was too fat to get on with their BMX team but I practiced all the time. I'd give my lunch money to one of kids who worked there for used parts until I finally built what I thought was the most beautifully perfect lime green and chrome Haro on the planet.

And then it happened. I turned 16 and I got a car. My trusty steed sat unused in the garage more and more as I used my piece of crap Plymouth Volare to get me where I needed to go. The nail in the coffin was when I got my first girlfriend and shortly there after my bike was stolen and I hadn't been near a bike in close to 25 years.

Last year my wife and I bought bikes for the family and really began enjoying it but our 9 year old refused to learn to ride. He had calculated the odds and figured that the likelihood of him getting hurt was too great so he wasn't going to get on a bike. He's an odd child. Needless to say the bikes went unused.

This summer I decided I really wanted to ride more. I told my son who is now 10 that either he needed to learn to ride or take up jogging. Reluctantly he hopped on his bike and began to pedal. I told him I'd hold on as long as kept peddling but if he stopped I was letting go. In 90 seconds he went from a kid who was terrified of riding a bike to one who loved it. Now we ride 7-8 miles a day and its our favorite family past time.

Naturally I missed working on bikes. I am also a prop builder by trade specializing in reproducing existing movie props. So after watching Pee Wee's Big Adventure my son and I have decided to build Pee Wee's bike. Currently we are gathering the stock parts and can't wait to have it rolling. I've also bought my wife an old Schwinn Hollywood I'm going to refurbish to go with the Pee Wee bike.

Biking is starting to bring our family closer and I figure we might as well do it in style right?

Many thanks in advance to the help for the dumb questions I'm going to ask.

Gregg

Actually I'm from downtown Indy.

Thanks for the encouragement. Anxious to get a few more parts so I can actually do something. Fenders are my top priority right now. Those seem to be the toughy to find exactly what I'm looking for. I guess all good things eh??

gregg.nowling said:
Actually I'm from downtown Indy.

Thanks for the encouragement. Anxious to get a few more parts so I can actually do something. Fenders are my top priority right now. Those seem to be the toughy to find exactly what I'm looking for. I guess all good things eh??

That's because we all hoard them. :lol: I got a few sets in my shed now.

Back