Heavyweight build "FATBOB" CHANGES!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Single sided stay/forks '59 Cadillac bike. SCOOTER PICS UP!

Wont be doing any work tomorrow, total fire ban day again...
Think I have the bars sorted out in my head though, looking forward to building them.

Luke.

Re: Single sided stay/forks '59 Cadillac bike. SEAT ON!

DSC00161 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

DSC00162 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

The seat swingarm is designed to look like ladder bars on a drag car, or bridge supports, you decide... :D They are certainly strong enough.

DSC00163 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

The frame starting up behind the seat is for a backrest, but will now be cut off, after trying it, it really does not need one, very comfortable seat and riding style. The seat is off some sort of farming implement and it really started this whole oversize bike idea in the first place. I have to say, it is the most comfortable bike seat I have ever sat on, some seats I have had feel like your sitting on an axe blade...

The spring mounts on the frame will be curved in to the bottom rail and the temporary centre support will be removed.

Cant wait to set up the bars and headlight now... Starting to look like a bike!

Luke.

Just when i stood in awe of Wimpy's heavyweight bike, you come up with this!
This is the fattest heavyweight stretch i've seen so far.
Like your ideas and a big compliment for yo' welding/ engineering skills.
:mrgreen:

That scooter is great, your brother-in-law is a lucky buck!

It definitely has that LukeTheJoker swagger.
8388903262_5e5d32bf91.jpg

thanks for the pics dude!

Cheers mate,
Dr. T

Um, WOW! Thanks for all the kind words... My Father taught me all my engineering and welding skills, he is a patient man!

Glad you guys are liking it, as to Wimpys heavyweight, that is a cool bike, would actually prefer it over this one myself, much more practical. (Needs that air horn idea working though! :wink: )

Yeah, my Brother-in-law is cool, the 24/27 chopper mentioned earlier went to him, this scooter is for him and we plan to collaborate on a low-gravity "Butcher's/Baker's bike" delivery soon too! Kinda like a royal enfield low-gravity.

royalenfieldcarrier by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Having trouble finding the right size basket at an affordable price...

Really appreciate your kind words, they are what keeps me going on the hot days!
More progress soon, I promise!

Luke.

If you were local instead of in another hemisphere :p I'd give you a trike basket I have, that might be the right size.

yoothgeye said:
If you were local instead of in another hemisphere :p I'd give you a trike basket I have, that might be the right size.
:p Swap you for a tractor seat! :wink:

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
yoothgeye said:
:p Swap you for a tractor seat! :wink:

Luke.
Seems like both of you need someone with a plane. Yoohoo,any volunteers? :mrgreen:

Peatbog said:
I've got the plane but, alas, it is too small for passengers...well, and cargo.
It may be small, but it is very awesome!
That is "One Sweet Ride" Peatbog! :D

Luke.

Update on the Cadillac bike: Not sure if "stoked" is serious about the steering wheel or not :D , but anyway, figured out the handle bar clamp set-up, still working out what style of bars for it, I keep coming back to 2 very different styles. I'm thinking of making them both and trying them on the bike, whichever ones don't stay can always make there way on to something else later on. Been doing a lot of thinking and mocking up with the taillights, the way I drew them is no good as it leaves the lower light exposed and rather low, don't want to break one of these things on a gutter or something, they were not cheap! Besides that the rear end with two lights on it started looking too bulky... I have tried numerous versions but keep coming back to using just the one taillight, mounted off the rear frame, in line with the axle centreline, on the drive side. Got more thinking to do, but think at the moment that is where I am headed. At least then I would have a spare if it did get broken.

I also entered into a muscle bike build off against 13 year old builder "oleskool" it has a 6 week deadline but I intend to finish the Cadillac well before that is over...

Stay tuned...

Luke.

Well,bars made of square tubing seems to be the obvious choice,right? Maybe Swedish style,as shown below?

Those bars are very cool, specially the top ones! They would have to be extremely long for me to reach them on this bike... Or I would have to sit like a pretzel... Going to think on them, might be able to make it work...

The 2 styles I was thinking of,
1/ long curved style ala "Wimpy's" lowlife limo or,
2/ tall ape hangers with long turned back grips as shown in the first paint mock up I did on page one of the build...

Actually I am thinking of standard round tubing for the bars, heavy wall and corner braced, as they will be going up high and I'm trying to keep the visual weight low...

Luke.

Cool work on your big boy scooter!

Thanks Kingfish! Interesting that you call it a big boy scooter, we made up stickers for his chopper that read "BigBoy Chopper" might have to make some "BigBoy" stickers for the scooter too...

Luke.

If you wanna go for an ape,it definitely looks awesome. The only disadvantage is,that it has to cope with a big momentum,when you're gonna accelarate your bike. So make it strong enough,Luke.
Secondly you could get "lame arms" after a while. At least, that's what I got when I rode my H-D chopper with apes (it's a personal thing). :mrgreen:
Anyway,you'll find a way to surprise us,I guess. 8)

Luke
Its looking good, as for the handlebars, I like the type that wimpy shows in his picture, they add a good visual appeal to all the bulk of the rest of the bike. Making them long so they get to the rider instead of the rider leaning forward is the way to go.

I have been watching the whole bike build off idea with you and the kids :) you da man!

Rich

Yep I reckon you guys are probably right, the long swept back idea is the go, for comfort and performance, but, might make some apes as well just for a laugh and see how they look... :mrgreen:

Glad you like the idea for the build off Rich, I know last time Jake wanted to build of with his idea he didn't even get a reply, so glad this one is working out, will be good to see what Lucas comes up with too, his earthscraper (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=67172&start=60) is well outside the box, should be a haven for new ideas and new takes on old styling! Anyone else want to join? How about yourself RichL? I know you have a cool project going at the moment, but, wouldn't it be nice to have a muscle bike to go with the chopper? With your skills and that new drill press you could give us all a good run for our money! :wink:

Luke.

I saw his post when he first put it up, and I was very tempted to respond, but decided to wait, when you posted you were interested... it was very hard not to join... I am very close to saying yes :) it looks like it will actually be a funtime now, with at least the 3 of you. I need the practice and it looks like a lot of fun... I'm gonnan think about it for the day, I have a full plate with my chopper and school and trying to find a job, and all the other details of life :)

We'll see... ;)

Rich

RichL said:
I saw his post when he first put it up, and I was very tempted to respond, but decided to wait, when you posted you were interested... it was very hard not to join... I am very close to saying yes :) it looks like it will actually be a funtime now, with at least the 3 of you. I need the practice and it looks like a lot of fun... I'm gonnan think about it for the day, I have a full plate with my chopper and school and trying to find a job, and all the other details of life :)
We'll see... ;)
Rich
Well you would be more than welcome! :wink:
Doesn't have to be anywhere near as detailed as your current build, I know mine certainly will not, but it should have some cool features and be a nice rider all the same... :D
I'm thinking it will end up being my everyday bike and save the Cadillac for special occasions. (Read: When I feel up to transporting it and want to show it off.)

Luke.

Your scooter looks low and stable

LukeTheJoker said:
2/ tall ape hangers with long turned back grips as shown in the first paint mock up I did on page one of the build...
Actually I am thinking of standard round tubing for the bars, heavy wall and corner braced, as they will be going up high and I'm trying to keep the visual weight low...
Luke.
I agree

It's amazing how it's coming together

Good Luck

Back