Heavyweight build "FATBOB" CHANGES!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Single sided stay/forks lowrider? chopper? muscle?

Voyager Al said:
Green-Chain said:
MONSTER !!!!!

love it :wink:
OneHorsePower said:
:shock: WOW <3 it!

Thanks everyone! Really happy with the way it is turning out, nice to see it coming together after building it in my head for the last 2 years...

I am afraid I wont be doing any work on it today, overdid things yesterday, rebuilding the rear end and installing a new airconditioner in the bedroom getting set for this summer was really too much for my body to handle. Hopefully I will be out of action for only a day or two and will bring you more progress pictures soon...

Stay tuned and keep building! :D

Luke.

Luke this is fantastic! Been watching this from the start 8) . It's so chunky it looks like it should have a V8 in it :wink: . You definitely have to do that tank though, since seeing that picture it doesn't look right without it :D .

P.s Love the old Austin truck, any more pics of it? My Dad used to have a series 2a Landie, I remember going to work in it during the winter months. It was colder inside than out :lol:

Little_Will said:
P.s Love the old Austin truck, any more pics of it? My Dad used to have a series 2a Landie, I remember going to work in it during the winter months. It was colder inside than out :lol:

Got a pic for you here, before any modifications. Since this pic the cab has been narrowed 200mm (8inches) plans are in place for a 100mm (4inch) chop and possibly a 100mm section below the doors too, I just have to be careful not to lose that lovely curve at the top of the side window openings, love it, thats the main reason I chose this truck over the other more popular models (ford, chev, international etc.) I had available to me... Current plans, it will not be painted, maybe just satin clear coated over all that lovely patina...

DSCN9615 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

I believe the Austin is a K series from the early 1940's, appears it was a fire fighting truck originally...

Also got an early drawing here for the bike, things progessed a little but I still like this design, may use it on a future build...

Bike idea in progress by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Luke.

Little_Will said:
My Dad used to have a series 2a Landie, I remember going to work in it during the winter months. It was colder inside than out :lol:

Seeing as you love the 2a Landies, here is a mock-up of the idea I was working towards... Was going to sit the body on a 2wd Toyota Hilux chassis, channel down over the chassis, nice and low... Add a few custom touches, frenched antennas, quad headlights, flipper caps...

Landrover idea by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

I ended up deciding I like the Austin RatRod idea more, but lately have been thinking I could shink the Landie down and turn it into a peddle car...

Luke.

Thanks for the truck photo. If that was sat like that uncovered over here there'd be nothing but a pile of rust left, such a shame really. I've got an old Rover 3500 (P6) and I'm constantly fighting against the elements. What are your plans for the back end of the truck? Flatbed, pick-up or some kind of van type body?
P.s what's that thing on its roof that looks like a fin?

Will

Little_Will said:
Thanks for the truck photo. If that was sat like that uncovered over here there'd be nothing but a pile of rust left, such a shame really. I've got an old Rover 3500 (P6) and I'm constantly fighting against the elements. What are your plans for the back end of the truck? Flatbed, pick-up or some kind of van type body?
P.s what's that thing on its roof that looks like a fin?

Will

I know what you mean about rust, I used to live in Darwin, right up the top of Australia, full tropics...

Been thinking a flatbed on the back of the truck lately, more room for bikes!

The thing on the roof was a vent of some sort, (rust trap) it came off when I narrowed the cab, still hanging on to it, may refit it with no entry to the cabin so it doesn't leak everywhere...

Junker Jim said:
So stoked for this.

Thanks Junker Jim!, I will have to add a picture of this bike to your "Ape Hangers only" thread when it is done... The way that thread is going, it will probably end up on page 50!

Luke.

Seeing as I am forced to take a few days off building, I found some pictures of my last bike I built for you guys to look at.

It is a 24/27 Chopper made from the pieces of a couple of dumpshop throw aways, and some left over fence pipe...

DSCN4666 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

It was made as a surprise present for my Brother-in-law, I think this picture tells me he likes it!

DSCN5030 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Love the 24/27 chopper look, will have to build another one at some point...

Luke.

Re: Single sided stay/forks '59 Cadillac inspired build Re-named

Ok, decided to go all out on the Cadillac theme. Going to chase up some Cadillac script badges for the tank and some...

Drumroll please!...

'59 Caddy taillights to mount to the rear stays... I will make custom tube mounts that tie them in nicely...
Already have some nice little marker lights I will use for twin front lights, vertical stacked, mounted off the side of the fork, beside the springer.

Satin black paint, chrome badges and details, polished stainless hubcaps... :mrgreen:

Did get some work done in my week off, started work on the headlights for the bike. I was modifing some old Lucas marker lights but found out they are made of brass and not steel which makes it hard for me to weld new mounts on as I dont have access to brazing equipment at the moment, so scraped that idea...

Found some cheap LED torches at my local KMart that looked like they could work as bike lights.

DSCN2382 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Unmodified torch above, shortened light on the bottom. I will add a simple flat plate and 3 small bolt mount to the back.

Not sure they fit the look I am going for on this bike, but cool lights all the same, will see how they look with the centre section painted and pin-striped, if I still dont think they work, might save them for another build.

The seat springs arrived in the mail, very happy with them, love the size and shape of them.

DSCN2381 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Luke.

Ok, so after a week with limited progress due to health, weather and a total fire ban day (no welding or grinding in the open air) I finally made a little progress.

DSCN2379 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

DSCN2380 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Still have a lot of work to do on these forks (maybe it is just a fork (no "s") due to single side? :? Or knife? :roll: :lol: ) Not happy with them at the moment, but at least I know where it is headed now... Have to raise the bended area up to keep the front low enough for my liking, going to move it back closer to the headtube while I am at it.

Going to be a massive bike when it is done...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
:?: Can someone please tell me what kind of bike I am building here? Is it a Lowrider? Chopper? Muscle bike? Stretch? Or is it just a Freak? :?:

Maybe... stretched bobber?
For my bike, Firebird, it's more like an full size cruiser _ wheel base more than 2.2 meter.
My WB is 2.35m, weight 27 kg...

Outlaw 3 said:
For my bike, Firebird, it's more like an full size cruiser _ wheel base more than 2.2 meter.

You might have me on length, but I definitely have you on weight... My back wheel weighs more than your whole bike! :wink: Not necessarily a good thing... :oops:

LukeTheJoker said:
Outlaw 3 said:

You might have me on length, but I definitely have you on weight... My back wheel weighs more than your whole bike! :wink: Not necessarily a good thing... :oops:

My bike is a everyday vehicle) Big and sporty, manuverable) Yeah, an average mountain bike might have me on start, but my top speed is about 45 kmh.
Ok, lets make a little build-off.
Hey! Dont you think about making a forkless front end? :)

RatRodOz said:
dang this thing is epic!! :shock: :shock:

Thanks! Awesome feedback!

Gotta say, I kinda agree... I am meant to be able to transport this thing on my roofrack, gunna need some help to get it up and down from there... Maybe build a ramp??? :roll:

Just ordered some stickers which might end up on the tank sides, imagine these on satin black...

Cadillac tank stickers. by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Luke.

Back