Heavyweight build "FATBOB" CHANGES!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Single sided stay/forks 59 Cadillac bike. NEED YOUR THOUGHTS

Ok, continuing from the last page where the votes were pretty evenly split, the decision is do I keep the bike as a long stretch and struggle to get it in and out of the house and so probably not ride it much, or do I shorten it up by a foot into a bobber? I am having a hard time deciding so I am after your opinions... The shorter version seems easier to ride from my testing but other than that it is pretty even for me...

This is the bike as it currently sits:

Cropped Cadillac by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

This is how it would look shortened:

Short Cadillac by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Any thoughts?

Luke.

keep it long. there's no such thing as a short cadillac

It depends on what you are looking for out of this build.
To keep it working best with the theme, I would say keep it a stretch.
BUT
I personnally like it a good deal better as the bobber.

Just did a very quick mock up with the light, apes and airhorn on board and I think I am leaning towards the short version.

Short Cadillac plus apes light and airhorn by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

I think what is holding me back from doing it is that this is the first major change from the plan I started with.

Luke.

Edit: Just saw the other 2 posts that turned up while I was doing the mock up, I'm thinking the Cadillac theme will be dropped anyway, I wasn't liking where it was heading, I really want to put apes on it and they along with the air tank and airhorn idea was not really gelling with the Cadillac feel in my mind...

Man that is a TANK of a bike!
I really like the shortened version.
It looks like something Steve McQueen would build so that he could just drive through the fence instead of jumping it.

kingfish254 said:
Man that is a TANK of a bike!
I really like the shortened version.
It looks like something Steve McQueen would build so that he could just drive through the fence instead of jumping it.
:mrgreen: I think you just made up my mind Kingfish!

That was a pretty cool part in the movie, from memory though he didn't make it and got caught again?

Luke.

It looks great either way, but short is awesome, all that mass but not as long, it looks tough, plus I think it will handle and balance better with your weight up higher.

You will also have more leverage on the cranks sitting more above them.

im still favoring the stretch - i imagine sat on there, ... dangling next to the back wheel handlebars being far too far apart yet youll look the piece' as opposed to the bobber, more in proportion but i think some of the style would've been lost

LukeTheJoker said:
Just did a very quick mock up with the light, apes and airhorn on board and I think I am leaning towards the short version.

Short Cadillac plus apes light and airhorn by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

I think what is holding me back from doing it is that this is the first major change from the plan I started with.

Luke.

Edit: Just saw the other 2 posts that turned up while I was doing the mock up, I'm thinking the Cadillac theme will be dropped anyway, I wasn't liking where it was heading, I really want to put apes on it and they along with the air tank and airhorn idea was not really gelling with the Cadillac feel in my mind...
This looks great, sir!

I too think its looks better shorter. There will be two benefits from it too. You will
drastically cut your total weight by a bunch and you will have increased leverage to
pedal sitting up higher. Just another opinion though. :lol:

It will be much easier to bunny hop once it is shorter! :p

It's looking more like a Chevette now

I prefer the long version visually, but practically, the short one wins. And the more I look at your mock up with the apes, light and horn... the more I like the bobber version. So bobber wins.

With regards to the comment about you building a shed for your bikes, you wrote...

"...unfortunatly we are only renting where we live (dont worry, we checked, bikes inside the house is fine, they are even fine with me working on cars and bikes, welding, grinding, even painting in the yard!) so building a shed might be pushing it..."

Why not convince the landlord that a shed is adding value to the property.... which it is. A shed out side is a very valuable addition to any property, giving any future tenant/owner the benefits of your fabrication skills. Your landlord can surely see that you are a skilled fabricator and that any shed you make will be built strongly and be attractive... not just some old thing slapped in the middle of the back yard. It would also get all your bikes out of the house and give you more usable living space inside. Just a thought.

Whatever the decision on the length... it'll be cool. 8)

AS for storage sheds, around here you can rent what is basically a container by the month or longer terms. They can be almost anysize up to I guess about 50'. That maybe an option for you also. They make nice little workshops, I have used them on jobsites before.

HTH

Rich

As regarding building a storage area or renting a container, just trying to save money, rather spend it on bikes than on somewhere to put them! :mrgreen: Slightly impractical I admit...

If I am reading this correctly, the vote stands at 9 for the bobber, 4 for the stretch. Thats good, because when I woke up this morning I had already decided to cut it... :mrgreen: Amazing what sleeping on something does for the decision making process...

So bye bye Cadillac theme, hello to Mr "FatBob!"

Luke.

Back