HEADSET TROUBLE - 50s JC HIGGINS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dboy9887 said:
Im having a headtube problem as well. I bought the head tube reducer from cHoppersus to fit a 40's Schwinn Liberty and the funny thing is it still doesnt even fit, i could see that its meant to fit the frame but its just a slightly bigger than the headtube. my idea is to just cut one side of the reducer and then it should probably fit snuggly in place but im not sure. My other idea is too file down the inside of the headtube but then again i dont wanna mess up my frame for future fork changes.. should i risk cutting the reducer or should i file down the frame?

bmx or used chicago schwinn headset should fit. they're common and not expensive. headset reducers shouldn't be needed on an old schwinn. as a matter of fact they are almost NEVER neccessary and get way too much attention on forums.

when you hear hoofbeats think 'horses', not 'zebras'.............

I sometimes wonder if some headset questions are due to ignorance of the fact that the races are supposed to be an interference fit, i.e. hammer and drift, dead blow mallet, or mechanical press fit.

Bendix said:
Dboy9887 said:
Im having a headtube problem as well. I bought the head tube reducer from cHoppersus to fit a 40's Schwinn Liberty and the funny thing is it still doesnt even fit, i could see that its meant to fit the frame but its just a slightly bigger than the headtube. my idea is to just cut one side of the reducer and then it should probably fit snuggly in place but im not sure. My other idea is too file down the inside of the headtube but then again i dont wanna mess up my frame for future fork changes.. should i risk cutting the reducer or should i file down the frame?

bmx or used chicago schwinn headset should fit. they're common and not expensive. headset reducers shouldn't be needed on an old schwinn. as a matter of fact they are almost NEVER neccessary and get way too much attention on forums.

when you hear hoofbeats think 'horses', not 'zebras'.............

The only reason why i bought the reducer is because i have a 1 inch whizzer monark fork, I thought it would be hassle free....but now im just thinking of getting the proper size fork and for the springer part of the monark fork, file out the 1 inch diameter to fit the 1&1/8 fork.

Back