Headset Issues 60's Rollfast

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought things were going my way on my build... That is when things bite you in the ....!
Got the WALD BB cups installed in the frame okay. Went to the new Threadless headset and found that the cups were undersized, or that my headtube is warped. The old headset came out clean but the new cups are just slightly loose. The new bearings will not work with the old cups so I'm stuck. I guess a slight shim could be done, or maybe some gap filling loctite?

What would be the better way to go folks?

Chris

Its a never ending battle for truth justice and the american way. When you change something the ones you replace are going to be just a little bigger or smaller. I know it happens to all of us. The only real way to fix it will to be keep trying differant sets till you find the ones that fit tight. You could weld a light bead inside to take up the slack or do the punch a bunch of small holes around the neck to tighten it up .shims will work ,but not right and anything you try to stick in there to shim wont stay. Lots of torque on headsets. As you rip apart lots of bikes you will run into this alot but you will have lots of parts to try. :roll:

As a side note ...You can buy a cheap electronic caliper from a china tool place...usually $10 or $12 and be able to check one thing against the other. It wont make parts fit any better but at least you will know where you are and where you need to be.

Uncle Stretch said:
As a side note ...You can buy a cheap electronic caliper from a china tool place...usually $10 or $12 and be able to check one thing against the other. It wont make parts fit any better but at least you will know where you are and where you need to be.

So my Mitutoyo Electronic won't work? ....! Too bad it's in my tool box at the Bike Shop! I had to bring tools home last night to do some of the work!

Thanks Stretch

Uncle Stretch said:
OOOOPS disreguard my post. I thought you didnt have very much familiarity with bike troubles. Sorry :oops:

LOL! No problem! I work at a High End Road Bike Shop. I get really tired of those bikes and I much rather have the simple no frills ride of a cruiser like I am re-doing. I'd rather ride something different that ride a "ME TOO" bike.
The problems lie with not having a cache of old parts and the shop I work for being too "NEW" to care about stocking parts like these. I get ragged on all the time for taking too much time with customers that bring in old bikes. I would rather help a customer re-cycle an old bike than to throw one out.

I'll get it figured out. Talked with the vendor that I got the fork and the Headset from and the headset is the only one they carry, they THOUGHT it would work. Very good about refunding my money and such, but I told them I'd keep it anyway.

If they are really close, I have had good luck over the years using metal tape to fit headsets, including outer races("cups") and lower inner. It's only good for 2 or three layers, max, sometimes that's enough. Put enough on so that it's difficult to assemble. Sometimes if you didn't put enough, it will settle in, but you just open it up and add a little. Kind of shady, I admit, but it works. :wink:

I "mic'd" everything up and I really think that what I got in the new headset is a 1" JIS standard headset. What I think I need is a BMX style 1" threadless headset and then I think my problems will be solved. Of course finding one of those this weekend is just not going to happen. Darn bike is so close to being done....I just want to ride it!

Spent last night adjusting the cones on the hubs and working on the new BB to get them all just right. Everything is so smooth right now and working so nice.

Back