Headlight and Tail Light Gallery - Post Pics Here

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first one. :)

IM000127.jpg

IM000128.jpg

SORCERER

Not as cool as Sorcerer's lights, but here's mine. I stole the idea from Gamebent. My Puch light is a litle different than his, but I used the same bulb.

Details are posted over on the "How To" forum.

I had forgotten all about this one. This video shows the flashing Cold Beer sign as well as many additional lights that I added to BEER RUN last year as part of the Savannah Bicycle Campaign's Midnight Garden Ride. There are 15 light switches involved here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2_3XqKZ ... playnext=1

:p

Hey locojoe, what's with the innertube? I see it on all your awesome headlights. Does it hold the light in the can? So many cool lights!!!

jackdaw said:
Hey locojoe, what's with the innertube? I see it on all your awesome headlights. Does it hold the light in the can? So many cool lights!!!
Thanks. In some cases yes it's what holds everything together. Others I've anchored the light to the can with nuts, bolts ,screws, whatever and the inner tube is just for looks, to trim/cover where the light meets the can.

Here are the lights on my Build Off 7 entry Flex-Liner 7 (The TwinFlex Spaceliner)

aIMG_8217.jpg

50s Unity Police Spotlight with Walmart plastic water pitcher lens.

aIMG_8169.jpg

TwinFlex Rear Springer Light

aIMG_8210.jpg

Chainguard louver and Evil Eye lights

aIMG_8216.jpg

aIMG_8214.jpg

The TwinFlex and Guard lights are powerd by this Wild Hare Whisky-A-Go-Go power pack with the switch hidded in the hinged cap.

aIMG_8039.jpg

aIMG_8154.jpg

aIMG_8224.jpg

Kingfish254. Those are outstanding. Love that headlight.
SORCERER

Sorcerer said:
Kingfish254. Those are outstanding. Love that headlight.
SORCERER

Thanks man, they were fun to make. The headlight has a shadowbox effect and I can't believe how perfect the curve of the water pitcher lid was to mimic a normal lens.
I can't wait until Labor Day weekend when the Savannah Bicycle Campaign has their Midnight Garden Ride through Savannah in the evening. It's gonna be fun to blow their minds!!!

Tail light:

I started off with your basic CatEye round reflector (please, mind the grubby hands).

06-30-2012Reflector1.jpg

Drilled a hole in the center of the back of the reflector body, used a little heat to separate the two halves, popped it apart, stuck an LED through the hole from the inside (got it here if you're interested: http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux) and super glued the halves back together:

06-30-2012Reflector3.jpg

Tada! I plan to negative-ground the tail light to the frame, and run the positive wire through the frame to the battery.

06-30-2012Reflector4.jpg

Headlight:

Bought a headlight from snarehead123 (thanks again!):

07-07-2012Headlight.jpg

Machined a piece of aluminum round stock to hold 9 LEDs (same ones as the tail light, 8 white and 1 green), stuck the LEDs in, and stuck it in the headlight:

07-11-2012HeadlightInsert1.jpg

07-13-2012HeadlightAssembled1.jpg

07-13-2012HeadlightAssembled2.jpg

07-11-2012HeadlightInsert4.jpg

The headlight is negative-grounded inside the body and I plan to run the positive wire through the forks and up to the battery.

Love the headlight, but that taillight is really cool! Very "stealth." You could glue a small battery pack to the rear of it and nobody would know it was a taillight until it is turned on. Would be great on commuter bikes/daily riders.

yoothgeye said:
Love the headlight, but that taillight is really cool! Very "stealth." You could glue a small battery pack to the rear of it and nobody would know it was a taillight until it is turned on. Would be great on commuter bikes/daily riders.

Thank you! I considered doing separate batteries for each light but then I found this great leather bag that fits on the handlebars perfectly, so the batteries will go into the bag and get grounded to the frame, and I'll just mount a pair of toggle switches to it and it'll be good to go.

Peatbog said:
Agreed, that taillight is something I plan to use. Great idea. And, HEY, that machined headlight part looks to be CNCed! Do you have access to a CNC mill? Man, I'm jealous! Anyway, the machined piece is a good idea to hold the lights. I will use that idea too! The one green light in there is a pretty nifty idea also.

Thanks! I like how simple the tail light is, I'm excited to get to the point in my build that I can mount everything.

I'm a machinist so I have access to some milling machines at work in my spare time (also known as when the boss isn't looking). I designed the insert and made a Mastercam drawing of it on day one, programmed the part the 2nd, and made chips in the 3rd and 4th. The first one I made didn't quite right, so I scrapped it and started over with more precise measurements.

I tried to get photos of the light that the headlight throws, but they just weren't coming out accurately. I wanted there to be a slight greenish hue to the light, and it worked really well.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Here is a headlight and tailight I put together with some parts out of the trash. This was my first attempt at it and I know It fails in comparison to what you guys have done.
Headlight
IMG-20120725-00352.jpg

Tailight
IMG-20120730-00403.jpg

Here is the tailight apart, the bolt activates the button on the bottom of the flashlight
IMG-20120726-00364.jpg

IMG-20120726-00361.jpg

and the headlight
SanJose-20120721-00302.jpg

here is a comparison between the larger headlight and tailight.
IMG-20120726-00359.jpg

I made a second headlight so there is one on each side but havet taken photos yet.

Headlamp is the head unit from a Big Beam 164 lantern.
P1015485.jpg

P1015570.jpg

The battery box portion of the lantern is tucked inside the bodywork, so that the huge 6V battery is out of sight. It is heavy though.

The tail lights were a simpler deal - Delta rocket lights, this set made from boat bow lights. I installed 1W LEDs in each, so they are far brighter than they were originally.
P1015415.jpg

P1015473.jpg

Awesome lights! I love old lights on rat bikes.

I thought I would share a few pics of the lights on my Hot Hod Higgins.

I stopped by a local shop of a guy whole collects/sells old Chevy parts. I asked him if he had any old yellow lights laying around. The guy was super cool and we spent about an hour digging through boxs and boxes. I finally found this killer light. I wanted something yellow and fairly large. I really liked the way the lens protruded out of the housing.

black16.jpg

I used a cheapo flashlight from Harbor Freight and a switch from Radio Shack

black25.jpg

Cool thing is that the blue tint of the light mixed with the yellow lens gives off a cool green glow!

black28.jpg

I am out at a swp meet and I see this strange looking light on a guy's table. I ask him what came off of. He says "I dunno, but it's yours for a buck". Ok, cool, for a dollar I'll buy about anything.

port7.jpg

So I strip it down, paint it black and wire it the same was as the headlight.

black31.jpg

and we have a taillight!

black33.jpg

Here are the finished lights

hhhiggins20.jpg

hhhiggins22.jpg

Back