head tube and bb size

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
besides cutting a head tube and bb out of an old bike frame. where can you buy tube for them, what size tube do i need?? thanks

I get metal for head tubes from onlinemetals.com look for type 5 steel DOM. I get 1.375 outside diameter x .095 wall 1.185 I.D. This fits the old style road bike headsets. They will cut to whatever length you want. Ihaven't bought any metal for bottom brackets before, but I bet you can find something there. They have a large variety of sizes.

I tried to watch your videos uncle stretch, but I just got an error. For those of us who get the error, can we get a description? I am curious now...

I just got my lastest order of head tube metal already cut to the precise lengths. Here are a couple of pics. This is the road bike size cup that you can see in the second picture. You can see it will be a nice press in fit.

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

bikebuilder said:
I like the schwinn dropouts, but the rest is kind-of worthless. You can't really reuse the headtubes or BB's.

Thanks. I don't build so now I know. Dropouts to parts box, the rest to the salvage yard. Gary

It is because of them being cast with the smooth transitions. They look neat, but if you grind the tubes off you end up with gaping holes. some bikes have just a small maybe 1/4" hole drilled and you can grind the other tubes off of the head tubes and BB's.

You could use them to repair another schwinn :lol: Uncle Stretch may not approve of this. :D

Latest posts

Back