Hawthorne Zep rat ?? Which Crankset??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
It's not often I post a "completed" bike, I usually get sidetracked or something, but I put this together over the last couple of weeks.

24x3 Thick Bricks on a set of Columbia hoops. Thanks UCB for the hub rebuild directions, the orig grease was as thick as tar.

3 piece cranks keep things moving smooth with NOS/vintage KMC chain.

Pedals were the only 9/16's I had that weren't clipless, maybe I'll turn something better up at Monson like some beat up bmx type.

Neat swoopy bars with glow in the dark grips. might change them....

0320010.jpg

The stem is prewar aluminum that I rescued from the local junkyard, bought a whole rotten -rusted bike just for that stem. Used a stainless steel bolt for handlebar clamp with an acorn nut. Horn is stuck ONNNNNNN !!!
0320015.jpg

0320014.jpg

Dropstand with no fender, no problem....
0320012.jpg

0320011.jpg

0320013.jpg

So just a few things to tend to, the horn, and maybe some kind of light up front would be nice.

Re: Hawthorne Zep rat w/extra creme

WOW! I love the drop stand holder with the license plate.
I love the bikes that are rat rodded out that aren't modified so much that
you can convert it back. 100% love it great bike

Nick.

Thanks buddy.

I didn't feel too bad about welding on the frame, take a look at the chainstay on that side, worn right through from crank rub. This may end up getting severely chopped into a motorized bike, or I have another just like it.

Awesome bike Walker! :D Like all the patina colors and Thick Bricks! :D

Is this one going to Monson? :mrgreen:

Sweet, looking forward to seeing it! :D

Yep +1 for the dropstand clip. I was trying to come up with something because I want to use a stand I have on an Elgin Moto that I haven't found the correct fenders for quite yet. This definitely inspires new ideas. Nice work!

Made some changes over the summer...I ended up riding this bike quite a bit. Took it through Weirs Beach during motorcycle week, brought it to work regularly and took lunch time cruises around the neighborhood.

138.jpg

139.jpg

142.jpg

Working on fitting some other things. stay tuned

Thanks Henry, I changed out the front end and have been working on adding some fenders so I can sport a pretty cool fender ornament. Unfortunately, since I dont have orig fenders to fit this frame it means making new braces etc.

141-1.jpg

Custom brass fender spacer for up top
145.jpg

and a spring for down below
148.jpg

Home depot should have some light steel strapping so I can re-make the braces..or maybe aluminum?
146.jpg

Killer ride dude I wouldn't change a thing 8)

thanks buddy. I've got the JB Weld doing it's thing right now, it's some kind of pot metal. Front fender is on, just need to make some tire clearance for the 24x3's. Rear fender is a bit more involved, I cut off the rear brace and am trying to support it off the steel drop stand/licence plate bracket I welded on.

Well, it's off the stand and I'm pretty happy with the results. I will be changing the drivetrain to either a vintage 1/2" pitch or skiptooth (if I can find a bendix skiptooth driver). For now it will have to stand the way it is.

Fixing the blimp
sandwichfair070.jpg

Rear fender spacers, I think the spring will work well
sandwichfair082.jpg

Horn tank with sweet graphics!
sandwichfair079.jpg

The front end
sandwichfair078.jpg

sandwichfair081.jpg

rear fender work
sandwichfair074.jpg

sandwichfair076.jpg