Hawthorne teardown problems

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the teardown on my Hawthorne bike this weekend. (I'm pretty sure It's a late 50s early 60s model, which might help answer my question)

I got everything off the bike except the crank. I can't get it out of the bottom bracket. I have it loose and everything but I just can't get it to slide out no matter how many angles I try.

Did they have multi piece cranks back then? It looks like a single piece crank to me, but I'm a newb so I could be missing something. Anyone got tips for me on removing the crank on an old bike like this?

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks so much!

with everything in place,slide the bearings out as far on the crank arms as you can and try that...

Markm said:
with everything in place,slide the bearings out as far on the crank arms as you can and try that...

Thanks for the input markm!

Unfortunately, I tried that already and it didn't help. In fact I have the left side bearings completely off. It just won't slide out. I'll try to post some pics later.

i had a problem similar to this with my bike just recently, it would only come out/in at a particular angle, where the bend would face down, so the crank corner/bend didn't hit any of the welded in pipes in the tube, also, on my bike to get it back in i actually had to keep the sprocket loose on the crank so it could stay out of the way of the crank. once the crank was more or less in, i then would tighten down the sprocket lock nut. hope this makes sense.

If all else fails you can knock one or both of the bearing cups loose. gives you plenty of room.

asdfqwer426 said:
i had a problem similar to this with my bike just recently, it would only come out/in at a particular angle, where the bend would face down, so the crank corner/bend didn't hit any of the welded in pipes in the tube, also, on my bike to get it back in i actually had to keep the sprocket loose on the crank so it could stay out of the way of the crank. once the crank was more or less in, i then would tighten down the sprocket lock nut. hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the help everyone! It ended up being the same problem asd was having. I was actually taking pictures to post on here to show you all my problem and as I was moving the crank to get a good shot, it just slipped out. I feel like an idiot now for even posting this!! I could have sworn I tried every possible angle this weekend and it wouldn't budge!!

Oh well. Just glad it's out so I can finish the tear down and send it off to the paint shop. (I know I know, "It's only original once!" I have my reasons though)

Thanks again for the help! I'm blown away by the comraderie on this site!

Don't feel bad. Some of them can be kinda tricky. One good thing about this site is there are always people willing to help.

OK... found this thread by seraching and am having the same issue. I have it down to this and it will NOT come out. It's an old Roadmaster. Am I missing something?

1A9977EA-orig-1.jpg

61700965.jpg

crump582 said:
It's stuck there... I can't get it the rest of the way out. I also haven't painted it yet.

Knock the bearing cup out of the BB shell from the other side using a flat tip screwdriver hitting it a little at a time on different places. Maybe that will do it

Latest posts

Back