Hawthorne Durilium Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this, almost complete, but not quite original, Hawthorne in my bike shop for almost a year and decided to do somehthing with it. When I bought this it had already been converted to 26 inch. Which was fine, since I would have done that anyway. I had no intended direction when I started this little project. The first thing was to replace the tires. I had these basically NOS Carlisle tires that I've always wanted to use. After putting them on, the bike told me it wanted to be a klunker. With the knobby tread, what else could it be. The rest was easy and fell into place a little too well. I had the stem and bars from an old schwinn mountain bike, the Brooks seat from my Sears fixie build (which my wife rides and didn't like the Brooks seat, which is why it was available), and some new pedals. I replaced the original 7 seat post with a straight one, mainly because of a conflict with the seat. I also replaced the original sprocket with a smaller one. The original was huge and with the larger tires, could have reached 50 mph going down hill, but wasn't practical for everyday riding. Other than shining it up, it was probably the simplest, most relaxing, and enjoyable build I've done so far.
IMGP2948.jpg

IMGP2949.jpg

IMGP2950.jpg

IMGP2951.jpg

IMGP2952.jpg

One of my favorite frames......I really want one of these. Looks excellent as a Klunker!

sensor said:
looks great but an aluminum framed hawthorne isnt the best material for a klunker........
those frames are prone to crack just from normal use
I agree. If I stand and shift my weight on the handlebars, I can feel the frame twist a little. No, this bike was built to cruise in style with. It won't get too much abuse other than the wash boards on my dirt road.

the clearance on those tires is soooo close. i LOVE how that looks, normally im not a klunker guy, but that is pretty cool.

im ready to start messing with mine
75755129.jpg

Sweet! How were these built? It looks like the joints are lugged or have fitted pieces, but is that just decorative? Welded? Brazed? Really cool!

Really love these bikes.There is one in a bike shop that i go and drool over.Its full polished and looks like chrome.one day I shall have a mens and womens for me and my wife!!!

great looking bike. i agree about the flex thats why i never built mine. atleast not yet

Very cool - different AND cool! 8)

Unchained said:
Sweet! How were these built? It looks like the joints are lugged or have fitted pieces, but is that just decorative? Welded? Brazed? Really cool!
I'm not sure of the process, but they are basically lugged. Maybe someone will enlighten both of us on how these were made.

Back