Hawthorne and Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Couple of additions to the stable this week. First is a late 30s or early 40s Hawthorne I swapped my Schwinn Racer for to my pal Skoda. I know she's rough right now, but I see a diamond in there!

DSC01740.jpg

DSC01738.jpg

DSC01741.jpg

The other was a CL steal! Nice J.C. Higgins ladies bike. Not sure of the year or model (is it a color-flow?), but I think it's early 50s. Complete except for the headlight and correct grips.

DSC01742.jpg

DSC01744.jpg

DSC01747.jpg

All in all, not a bad week!

The guy who sold me the Higgins got it from the dump about 25 years ago. It was hanging in his barn for about 20 years until he pulled it down and tried to fix it up for his wife. She never rode it and he decided it was time to get rid of it. I may not have gotten it for free, but it definitely wasn't much. I had actually thought about taking what I could off and putting it on a men's frame (I can already hear the gasps), but the more I think about it the more I want to leave her be. I have to stop finding great girls bikes--my wife's rides are cooler than mine!

I'd still love to know the year and model on it. My Higgins catalog says the color scheme was used at least a couple of years in the early 50s. Hit me up with any info!

Colorflows in that condition fetch a few big bills. The Hawthore screams for some class. Solid finds.

It is a fantastic girls bike ....but its a girls bike. With the addition of a cheap boys frame all your parts will make a very nice boys bike. Selling the leftovers will probably pay alot towards the boys parts you need. Dingo has a frame cheap and you probably can run up on a boys tank for not too much. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: or not :?

I've got a ladies colorflow very close to that, although the tank is different and the front forks have a red stripe on the bottom, which I thought they put on all colorflows but I'm no expert. I'll try to post a pic of it later, but it's got the same grips as yours. they might be original.

The chrome accents on the girl's tank look like old Buick portholes.

buickportholes2ip2.jpg

The grips say Western Flyer so I figured they aren't original. I'm curious to know what the correct ones look like. As far as the red paint at the bottom of the fork, the bike has been repainted. They guy did a good job of it, but I guess he didn't get every detail. So would that mean that this is a Colorflow? I'd love to see pics of one of these all original.

Nice Buick!

Back