have a habitat restore nearby? check for cheap paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this may only help a few people if any, but just in case

if you ever heard of habitat for humanity, here they have habitat restores. sort of like a goodwill or salvation army store, but it's home stuff, building material, furniture and whatnot. some stuff is new, like i guess contractors or stores donating for the tax writeoff or something. i'm guessing other cities may have them too.

anyway. the stores here have cans of spray paint for pretty cheap, $2.50 a can. i don't really recognise the names as paint names, but they are well known, like dap (i think spackle or something when i see that name) or seymour (more known for house paint?). so far i've just used some primer, but it seemed to spray good and cover well. if i can make myself finish some sanding and catch a good day i should be trying one of the colors soon.

kinda limited on the colors, but if you luck out and find the one you need, for nearly half the price of krylon or rustoleum it's worth a try.

never seen a bike in one here. that would probaly be good, since their prices are usually pretty good deals.

Our local one just moved into a new, bigger store! There are deals to be had. My in laws volunteer there once a week, in fact, they called to see if I was interested in a hardware store display with sheet metal and gutter stuff. I passed, but thanked them for thinking of me! :mrgreen: -
Adam

Thanks for the Info Cisco...

...but I am RUSTOLEUM man only.

I am sitting back snickering at those guys on the other post that are moaning and complaining because they dont know how to use a Rustoleum spray bomb.

If you have an ollie's, you can sometimes find cool colors of name brand stuff for cheap. Usually about $1.99 a can. you have to check once in a while, one time they'll have something usable, the next time they've got 30 cans of salmon pink.

Ollies has been great for me. I bought several colors of duplicolor, usually $6 or more a can at auto stores. 99 cents at ollies. I also got some self-etching primer for that price. I caught them at the right time and got a ton of different colors. I bought a lot of the little touch-up cans in different shades of white for 50 cents a can. I figured they would come in handy for pinstripes or accents. I have not had great luck with habitat. I bough a bike there once, mid-50's schwinn straightbar frame, but everything else on it was 70's schwinn parts. The price started at $150 and I went back once a week for months until the price finally hit $50. Even then I mainly bought it for the frame and the vintage tires which were in nice shape. Their paint is about the same price as in stores, at least at my location anyways.

another restore score

bikes001-8.jpg

bikes001-7.jpg

for a bike i put a little caged section on (i just found out what that;s called) and wanted some handle bars to match. all i saw on a quick search were ape hanger style though, and costly, so i made my own. the cage parts i got for $3.50 apiece at the restore, and the handlebars were out of the parts pile. they feel strong enough. i'll be trying them on a bike in the next day or so. if they work good i may buy a few more for a couple other projects.

I'm glad others chimed in about Ollie's, I get cans of paint there usually for .99 cents for a normal size can, and .50 cent for the smaller automotive touch up size cans, and have even gotten the big cans for .25 cents each. Those cans were recalled cans because some of the cans did not spray and they were untested, I bought 4 cans (high temperature auto engine paint) 2 in equipment yellow and 2 khaki (a diesel block color), the yellows gave me trouble, but once I cleared the nozzle they worked fine.

I love Ollies for stuff like this.

actually, i did put it on later. i got caught up in the experiment and forgot, but i remembered opening that type of gooseneck up before so i found one and got it on afterward. unless the handlebar breaks though, it is on to stay. i'm not sure how many times it can take being opened up that far without maybe stessing the metal.

Back