Hat/helmet/hair situation when you ride?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you usually rock on your dome while out and about on your pedal powered rides?

I usually have a pretty solid pomp(in me head, makes me aero-dynamic), but 'round this time of the year it usually flops, so just throw on my paper boy cap, or my gorilla baseball hat.

Also, I'm thinking about making this haha. I have a random silver helmet.
phenomenauts_photo_shoot_3.06_011.jpg

I'm a walking miracle! I've beaten the odd's and manage to do what they say can't be done.
Imagen this, A child making it through life without the aid of a helmet. My parents should be thrown in the clink! :)

In thier defence it was a time when it was considered normal to be out till the street lights came on, or if ya needed to talk to your best friend, ya might even consider doing it in person. :wink:

All joking aside, i can honestly say i knew of one child that owned a helmet when growing up.
She had a couple rare diseases (Thin rubbery skin on her knees and elbows and a risk of bleeding to death) I had a crap load of friends that never wore helmets and we all survived.
Helmets were for dork's back then, and i've never lost that mentality. (just being honest)
I've seen a lot of really bad bails over the years (i was pretty crazy on a bmx myself) And i'm not convinced a styrofoam helmet is ever gonna save your life. It's a difficult task to fall off your bike and actually land on your head.

Like icyuod2, when I was a kid NOBODY wore a helmet. I also was heavy into BMX, we used to jump our bikes off my neighbor's garage, onto his concrete driveway! GEEZE! We just didn't kow any better I guess. We also didn't use seat belts and took naps lying down in the back of my parents 1972 BelAir! Times change.....

These days, when cruisin' around the 'hood where cars don't go over 30 MPH, I roll with either a bandana skid lid or a baseball cap. Mostly to keep the hair out of my eyes.
When I go on any street/road where the speed limit is over 35, I'll don the skateboard helmet. I just don't like the looks of the roadie or even MTB helmets, and the 'cool' trendy 'casual' ones are ridiculously overpriced. Call me what you want, I refuse to pay big $$$ for trends.

On the other hypocritical hand, I make my 10 year old wear her trendy Hannah Montana helmet in the driveway! :roll: :wink:

Cheers!
Dr. T

I use a cheap helmet from the LBS. I have a hat for post ride.

The brain is fairly unprotected considering how fragile it is. I'd be quite upset if I damaged mine.

Usually i just rocked the big mop of hair, occasionally with a hat (RRB trucker anyone? :D) to keep the 'do in check, but since ive cut me hair this week, Ive been riding without a ...... thing on my head... feels great.
But then as a kid i never wore a lid, lids and things just weren't 'right', and as for nowadays, i wore one once... came off and shredded my face and shoulder and not a mark on the helmet... never again... :p

I don't wear a helmet when I'm just cruising around, it really kills the coolness factor of it. 8)

On the other hand, I won't go anywhere on my mountain bike without my helmet on, in the last year wearing a bicycle helmet has saved me from a couple of very serious injuries. I forgot it once this summer, made it about 2 miles down the road and got a funny feeling that I was forgetting something, realized that my helmet wasn't on my head, and turned back around to get it.

Whenever i ride pavement(around town and whatnot) without a helmet-I used to wear hats all the time, but not anymore. Mountain biking i wear the skate helmet. Dont like MTB/Roadie helmets

If I'm just riding around with my friends I usually don't wear one but I sometimes wear a Mace DJ helmet if were getting gnarly. If I'm going mountain biking I wear the Mace or a Bell full face, I have learned the hard way it's better to wear a lame helmet than look cool without one (2 concussions, lots of stitches and some missing teeth). :roll:

when i was 8 i smashed my helmet with a hammer and threw it in the street telling my mom a car ran it over. :lol: :lol: i hated helmets, still do. i wear my cookie monster hat.

stretch said:
when i was 8 i smashed my helmet with a hammer and threw it in the street telling my mom a car ran it over. :lol: :lol: i hated helmets, still do. i wear my cookie monster hat.
Only time I ever wore a helmet was on my Harley on long trips like going to Sturgis. Other than that it's a baseball cap.

i wear a helmet with tall bikes and when i got to school oh and in the baja bug but thats a racing legal issue otherwise just riding round i dont and i did with my mini bike till recently i dont trust it :roll:

I feel like I'm naked when I don't wear a helmet so that's why I always wear one on main rides. I also have sunglasses on so my eyes don't get bugs in them. I haven't crashed in over three years but there is always that "what if" factor, especially when I'm going downhill at 30+ miles an hour. :shock:

Last year there was this girl in my Film class who made fun of me for wearing a helmet. They look "retarded", she said. That's why she never wore one. I told her that helmets never bother me because I would rather not find myself being in a hospital bed or operating table with brains spilling out of my skull. Extreme circumstance, I know, but realistic. My teacher overheard and was disgusted. Graphic, yes... but true in some cases.

Back