Has anyone ever seen or built a slap shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using a come along at work today and I realized that I must have a slap shifter on my next bike. Any ideas?

I have a Nexus 7 speed and the shifter works like that. Shove it forward for each shift up and back to go back down. I'm not sure how it works inside , but sometimes its hard to build something like that. Its the only one that I have seen that do it.

I used to have a ratchet shifter in my Ghia dragster, but you mean a side slapper right? where it moves side to side?

not sure which one hes talking about scrumble, but im interested in the rachet style if you have any pics to post.

:lol: that was over a decade ago.. bout all I remember is it was a B&M brand that was around $100 bucks brand new in the early 90s, and had way fewer parts it it than you would think...

that would be sweet to make a 2-stick setup outa a newer underbar style... one for up, one for down..

geez, now I might have to make a tractor themed bike with a bunch of sticks on the bars for different junk... :lol: :roll:

I had a jockey mount slap shifter on the Jet bike. I don't have too many detail pictures but this might give you an idea of how it works. It was a standard Nexus 7 speed shifter.

Jockeyshiftdetail.jpg

my home computer is still down (just on my old webtv now) but i have one. it's an odd shifter that has one stick but is supposed to be able to work the front and rear derailleurs of a ten speed. truthfully i never compleatly understood how it worked to use it (and no set project for it. i just got it cause it was kinda cheap). i went out to the garage and got it just now.

it has a name. it had one when i was looking at it on an ebay auction but it's been a few years and i can't remember it. it has amf stickers on it and some markings in the metal that i think are shimano. i remember trying to find more info on it back then, but i don't think i found more than the patent application for it. that was just a lot of legal talk with either no info or it was so buried in all the legal language i didn't find it.

but it works about like what is being described. you move the shifter one way or the other and the numbers change one at a time.

wracking my brain but i just can't remember the name

Not to change directions on this post, but where did you race ? Any pics of your dragster ? I used to crew on a Super Comp 48 Fiat Toppolino Altered out of Lodi. Miss the smell of Methanol in the morning..

scrumblero said:
:lol: that was over a decade ago.. bout all I remember is it was a B&M brand that was around $100 bucks brand new in the early 90s, and had way fewer parts it it than you would think...

old school 64 said:
Not to change directions on this post, but where did you race ? Any pics of your dragster ? I used to crew on a Super Comp 48 Fiat Toppolino Altered out of Lodi. Miss the smell of Methanol in the morning..

scrumblero said:

I used to run at the VW meets at sears point and cal expo, it was a ratty piss yellow 69 karmen with a 2L and a fiberglass clip that couldn't break outa sportsman class.. I was the guy always scattering his tranny :p

had a 71 super too that was pretty fast but never got the track gear installed to run it..

I'm sure I have pics somewhere, but that was back in teh film and paper days, I'll see if the wife won't find one for me..

:shock: i didnt know you were into the aircooled machines known as vws...i guess all the cool people are :mrgreen:

still just on my webtv so i can't post a link or pic, but i found out my shifter is from an amf black gold 10 speed. it's a positron shifter so it probaly won't be good for anything but that, but if you google "amf black good bike" you'll find some pics of the bike including one site with a couple of close ups of the shifter.

Back