has anyone coverted a 26" cruiser to a 29er?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has converted a schwinn or any other vintage cruiser to accept 29" wheels. Is it possible? I know this has been asked on other sites but I can't find a definite answer.
Here's a pic of a 26" cruiser with 29er wheels I found on the internet...
attachment.php

Wait... I'm confused. You're asking if it is possible, but you posted a pic of one that's been converted already? I think you just answered your own question. Or were you asking if anyone on here has done it personally?

I was wondering if anyone else has done it. I'm not sure if the frame in the pic is modified or what specific size of 29er rim and tire would fit on a 26" frame, and if there are any problems with the performance.

It's a bit hard to tell from the angle (perspective) of the pic, but this bike looks like a 69er - 29er on the front and 26" on the rear. Then again, I could be wrong.

bean said:
It's a bit hard to tell from the angle (perspective) of the pic, but this bike looks like a 69er - 29er on the front and 26" on the rear. Then again, I could be wrong.

I agree... looks like a new 29er fork was added and the rear is still 26

i think it would depend on what frame u were trying to put them on. i think on the lot of the older with rear entry dropout, looking at a frame like my old lagauna cruiser , the chainstays stays wide bending into the seat stay only in the last 4 inches looks like u could just remove u brake mount and leave chainstays stock , and prob just lower the mounting position of the front fork dropout , or just make it longer looks like a lot of the huffys and such with inside style dropout , u would have to change rear dropout and make it longer and rear adjust.

I am into Schwinn King Stings. Another collector of King Stings, told me he converted one to a 29er. Maybe my next project!?!

I was trying to fit a 700c with a trekking tyre into my Columbia from 1957 - didn't work! but I guess it should work with different forks and modified drop-outs

Back