Haro 20" trail bike, BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thought Id post up if anyone wants to follow along.
Picked up these 2 scroungy rides for $40, figured they were parts.
20170823_060156.jpg

20170816_210505.jpg

Ended up building the blue one into this and gave it to my brother to ride with my nephew. Black with red metal flake paint.
20170916_121253.jpg

Didnt think much about the Haro, until I started looking closer. Euro sealed bottom bracket, hmm. Found out its a full chromoly frame, one step below the top bike ( top bike had machined headtube).

Frame is 20.5. I usually ride a 21 top tube. But its close enough to mess around with.
Since its pretty beat up, minor dents in downtube, so no restorer wants it, it would make a really good trail bike.

Got ot stripped down and couldnt really decide. Clear on steel, left the discoloration from past wounds, neutralized the rust. Shot it with automotive clear enamel. Wanted this to be a RAT, no flash, no BS.
20171023_173705.jpg

Went with a specialized top load stem to get a little more bar rise. Haro's generally have front load that puts the bars petty low.

Pulled the bottom bracket expecting the bearings to be bad, no issues, 4 small sealed rollers, smooth as can be.

Last edited:
Since the rear rim is decent stuff, alienation black sheep with black ops 9t driver, Im keeping it.

I cant tell if its faded red, faded black, or supposed to be copper color, it has a copper reddish tint. Kinda ugly, but Im going with it. Repacked it and trued it up.

This set my color. I was planning on copper or bronze plating a lot of parts. After a week of failed plating attempts I got annoyed today and just shot everything with pearl. Copper with some maroon mixed in clear to try to match the rear rim.

I did copper plate the headset cups (didnt polish), and found some faded to brown anodized headset spacers
20171029_140147.jpg

Had some drywall to do, had to take a break.

Cranks all mounted up, shimmed just right, chain tension set, went to mount the pedals. Dum Dum. Left and Right arms are swapped. :21:

Ill get it straightened out this weekend. Just a friendly reminder to check the details.

Got a brown We the People brake cable that should look right on this understated ride.

Last edited:
Swore I had a set of 14mm chain tensioners, cant find them. Made these up from some random bolt bin bits and conduit. They should fit the build just fine.
20171117_190514.jpg

Waiting on some brake hardware paint to dry and I can carry on. Much easier to set up seat stay 990's with the wheel off.

Last edited:
20171130_144432.jpg

Downtube dents got these bandaid decals and cleared over.

20171130_144341.jpg

Complete and riding, specialized tires. Torn up Haro seat that ill pull off this winter and restaple, stitch up. Have some Haro aluminum bar ends somewhere, will install when I win the hide and seek game with the parts bin. Tall bars and top load stem makes all the difference in these for me.
Rides great, feels light, jumps well. Ready to go on the trails this spring, and if it gets scratched up, scuff it and shoot more clear.

Latest posts

Back