Handlebar/Stem/headset question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am swapping out the handlebars on my Electra Lux 3i, and I've encountered some problems that I hope someone can help me with.

First off, the handlebars were too narrow for my stemclamp, no biggie, I'll swap out the stemclamp I thought.
So, it turns out my stem(clamp) is a one-piece that connects to the steerer tube or fork. So what do I have to do? I was looking at clamps and stems and stuff online, but I can't find a stem (without clamp), so that I can buy the clamp of my choice. Are these just not sold?

I wanna get a stem, and a separate BMX style clamp, but I am at a total loss here. I am pretty new to the whole bike scene, so I'm sorry if this all sounds really stupid.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could enlighten me.

PS. Sorry for the poor english.

The spec sheet says "Forged alloy 22.2 quill stem. I assume you want to use a threadless stem on a fork which uses a threaded headset and quill stem. To do this you'll need a 22.2 quill to threadless stem adapter. Or of course you could use different handlebars which fit the existing stem.

Yes, you want a quill to threadless stem adaptor like the link above. I use one on my hybrid and it works great.

You can also get shims for the stem you have to fit the handlebar. I've used those, too, and never had a problem.

Ok, that explains it very well, Thank you all so much. I went ahead and bought both an adapter and the stem of my choice.

Thanks again!

To convert to threadless, you'd need a threadless headset, fork, and you want to make sure you got a stem that matches the steerer tube size of the fork. Converting completely to threadless from threaded 1", you're likely also stuck with a 1" threadless steerer, though sometimes you can fit a 1 1/8" if you get the right headset and have a larger head tube, but the only real advantage for a cruiser in going up a size would be a larger selection of stems, which you can get from a threadless adaptor. In my opinion, other than the odd looking reduction in diameter of the adaptor under the stem, you get the best of both worlds with the threadless adaptor—easy height adjustment of threadless and bigger selection of stems with the ability to quickly flip the stem angle up or down for aesthetics and a little more height adjustment range if you get an open-face stem. It's also much cheaper, but that's advice I can give, but not take myself!

Thank you all for the insight! For now I used some shims, although they were pretty tough to fit on, I managed it with some elbow grease. I will be swapping to an adapter once I get it, but that will likely take a few weeks. Atleast now I get to try out my bike with these massive apehangers!:p Might have to buy a slightly smaller one though :bigsmile:

Again, thanks for all the help, great to know that I can come here if I have some stupid questions.

Back