Handgrip restoration?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, last night I met with a local guy who has a mountain of cool bicycle parts......and as I was digging thru a tub of grips I came across a pair of green metal flake Schwinn grips. The grips are in GREAT condition.....other than a little dirt and grime from over the years.

I know there was a post or some made a reference in a post about cleaning/restoring a pair of old grips.....but for the life of me I can't find it with the search button.

Can anyone help me out here?

Also, the guy had a small 1 gallon size ice cream tub FULL of vintage H&W and Schwinn grips.......and even a pair of red metal flake "Western Flyer" grips which was too cool...... I need to put together some $cratch and go buy the grips and a bunch of other cool parts he had....

Hey Texas,I dont know about "restoring" grips...if they're gouged and scuffed,then ya got what ya got.

I'd scrub them with Goop hand cleaner and a toothbrush.

I use the "Goo Gone" stuff for removing crayon and stickers and crap like that. Get the stuff that's like kereosene not the orange citrus stuff. Squirt it on and scrub with a toothbrush. It will make them sparkle again, then just clean them with some dish soap and water to get all of the goo gone off.

Bicyclerick said:
Wesleys Bleach White. You can pick it up at any auto parts store.

I wonder if this tekneek would work on old tires.

I got a hole in the end of my grips once and i used the rubber cement from a puncture repair kit to fix it.

Back