hammered metal paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i used it but not on a bike. i did a restoration project for a local church. i thinned it out a bit and sprayed it out of a paint gun. real nice results.

I used 3 different colors of the hammered paint on my folder and called it "Hammered". It seemed to give a better texture on flat surfaces, like the chain wheel cover and not so well on the tubular things like the frame tubes.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=24852&hilit=+hammered

I have not used it on a bike thought I am planning on using it on my forks. I have used it on a bunch of other projects almost always with unexpectedly good results. One of the things I've found to be critical is temperature of the paint and surface when spraying. I like the results I get much better when I have warmed the paint in hot water to 100F or so and having the surface I'm painting be heated to about the same. The lower the temperature the less pronounced the hammered effect seems to be. I also usually spray on a pretty rough surface, 220 grit and tend to use a single heavy coat.

I believe Rustoleum to be the same product sold as Hammerite in England.
On this presumption I would second Mrfritz in rough surface and one ample coat. I think that is covered in the instructions.
Certainly apply and leave to level. You can make a heck of a mess if you keep tinkering with it.
I have had good results on rusted & pitted metalwork.
I think the problem Wildcat has had with tubes is the difficulty in getting an even coat on a tube.
I tend to brush thin nearest the brush and too thick at the sides. It doesn't like thin thats why rough surfaces work better.
Spraying sounds the trick, but I have not tried that. All the warnings of special thinners put me off.
But I have recently found ordinary cellulose thinners works fine. (disclaimer: give it a try first we may be talking of different products)
Good luck & following winds
Kev

I tried to spray on a metal cabinet for a budy of mine and the paint is good, the cans, not so much. It was not consistent. One pass would go on smooth, the next it would spit and spatter. If you do some research you will find a lot of people with the same results I did. But give it a try, on the parts that went on ok, it looked really great.

I tried it out on a scrap piece of tubing and didn't care for the results. To inconsistent as someone mentioned above. I went with a Valspar satin copper then shot over that with clear flat. I'm very happy with this. Has a little bit of texture to it.

WP_000158.jpg

WP_000156.jpg

Im thinking that once you get started dont stop until done and dont try to save and use what is left in the can.......the mix and suspension of the paint wont hold up or be the same later.

Back