Grips not sticking?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I installed some grips with AquaNet hair spray. That used to work real well in the past. But, they've come loose. They're older grips on new handlebars. Could the old grips be causing the problem? Is there some trick I can do to get them to stick?

Try that sticky yellow contact glue. Like they glue down your formica counter top.

Are the bars painted, powder-coated, or chrome? You might try to scuff the surface under the grip and re-try the hairspray trick. Give it something to bite into.

I had a set of grips that did that when i used wd40 to get them on. I ended up taking them off and washing them down with dawn then put them back on after I heated them up with a hair dryer.

clear spray paint works as well if not better than hair spray, and it's waterproof. 8)

I bought a set of repro Schwinn script grips from Memory Lane and they're JUNK. I used double sided tape to keep them on.They still turned a bit and worked loose,another layer of tape seems to work for now. I paid at least $30.00 shipped for them or they'd be in the trash

I don't use hair spray or water or anything to get my grips on, if they don't stick, I'm certainly not going to "glue" them on in any way that would destroy the grips later or cause a mess to clean up.

When taking off or putting on grips I use my air compressor, blow them on, blow them off, they "stick" immediately with no leftover residue.

I have been using spray foam glass cleaner for years. Spray the inside and they slide right on. Let them sit for a day and they never move. Worse comes to worse and you can use grip glue and safety wire like we do on our motorcycles. If going BMX the new ODI lock on Rouge grips are awesome. We run them on all our desert race quads.

scrumblero said:
if you use aqua-net in the cold you have to let them sit in the sun or use a hair dryer to get it to set....
ahhh... that's probably it then. I was building in my cold garage. When I get it back together I'll scuff up the handle a bit, clean them both with alcohol, and try it again.

I totally swear by Windex. Start with clean, dry grips. (wash with Dawn or any de-greaser soap, rinse very well, let dry) Clean handlebar the same. Apply **small** amount of Windex to bar & inside grip. The more Windex you use, the longer it takes to set so just a slight mist will do the trick. Install grip. Don't touch it for a day. Florida can be a wet place to ride. Grips never slip off since using Windex. I know guys that use WD-40 with good results but I've never tried it.

Back