Grip removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Air hose in the end of the grip and plug the other grip with your thumb. Hands down the first thing I try.

There is no way I claim this is the best, but I tend to grab/work with whatever is handy. I have used, numerous times, a pipe wrench to gently twist and break loose stuck grips. :shock:

This topic pops up at least 3-4 times a year. :p

Search and you shall find.

Crescent wrench sized down to the exact size of your handlebar. Place it behind your grip and hit the wrench with a rubber mallet. Pops right off

Make sure you use a rubber mallet and not the claw hammer in your box. Otherwise that expensive lifetime warrantied wrench gets too dinged up and the warranty doesn't cover misuse. How do I know this? Well......I now have a crescent wrench that's sole purpose in life is to pop off grips because one wrongly placed hammer blow made sure it was never again to be an "adjustable wrench" :D

I use "Vonpotter's" method. 7/8 open end wrench or crescent depending on size of handlebars. Has never failed me yet & normally doesn't harm the grips.

Back