Gravedancer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Chimera Chopper Project

wimpy said:
Great result,dude! Any future plans for a wider rim in the back?
Thanks! I originally planned on one, but I like it with the 26 on there for now.
My goal was to use as many parts as possible off of the 3 bikes I started with and spend as little as possible. I ended up getting a FREE huffy mtn bike which donated the tires/wheels and the brake, used a leftover cable from a kit, and the brake lever off a Raleigh mtn bike. The primer was leftover as well. The ONLY money spent that was SPECIFICALLY for this bike was roughly $16 on the chain and the homemade chain adjusters. So, this was a pretty darn cheap build!
Here it is as a moving and stopping bicycle...
IMG-20120604-00477.jpg

I have some more details to add yet, but, this may be it....or it may tell me to paint it...we'll just have to see what my monster desires

Re: Chimera Chopper: Now with Stop AND Go

Looks really good. This gives me an idea. Thanks for posting.

Re: Chimera Chopper: Changes...the Green Monster

So, I finally ordered a wheel to do a 24x3 rear tire. Then decided to make a few other changes...
IMG-20121020-00588.jpg

IMG-20121020-00590.jpg

IMG-20121020-00589.jpg

IMG-20121020-00591.jpg

...not sure how far I'm going with this, but I think these are improvements and are moving it in the direction I had originally imagined for this build

Re: Chimera: Gettign There...the Green Monster

Swapped the chain ring with a Schwinn one (much nicer looking than the one from the Empire), and made some filler panels out of license plates. These were newer plates, so I hit them with a worn out flap disc on my grinder, soaked them in a mix of apple cider vinegar, coffee grounds, and steel wool. than smeared the mixture on them after a day and dried them with a heat gun...they look like I dug them out of a junkyard now....PERFECT!
IMG-20121027-00598.jpg

IMG-20121027-00599.jpg

Almost finished now...I ordered some spikes from studsandspikes.com that I might add. And, I want to seal in my faux finish on the panels and apply some age to the fasteners for the panels.

What are you doing with the breeze fenders? Aha I'm restoring a 67 breeze deluxe and need fenders... Are you looking to sell them?

Vintagebikelover24 said:
What are you doing with the breeze fenders? Aha I'm restoring a 67 breeze deluxe and need fenders... Are you looking to sell them?
No plans for them. When I get a chance, I'll pm you with some pics of them. If I remember right, there might have been a repair on one of them, but like I said, I'll get you some pics.

IronDio said:
Vintagebikelover24 said:
No plans for them. When I get a chance, I'll pm you with some pics of them. If I remember right, there might have been a repair on one of them, but like I said, I'll get you some pics.
Okay thanks. It'd be greatly appreciated!

Sick!!!! Came out really nice

Thanks for the compliments! I need to get some detail shots of it up soon. I liked this bike before, but I love it now!
The pics were fun, my wife was the photographer, and I was the "lighting engineer"...we didn't want to use flash, and I wanted a warm, yellowish look on the bike. We went out to a local cemetery and started shooting. I was hoping to get more headstones in the background, but the shots that had them were either too lit up, or the background was too cluttered...(I'm kind of picky). I think we nailed the look I was going for, kind of like an old monster movie, but stripped way down...let the bike tell the story.

Fun "accident", the red on the rear rim is from the bike's taillight...but the red glow on the chain ring is from my truck's taillights. I left it running to power the ground lights...kind of makes it look bloody or something. love it!

maybe i missed it, but what did u plug the old bb hole with, freeze plugs? looks great, would like to see a pic of a rider on it.

Back