Grandpa-RockHopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bike farie was a good boy last week and abandoned a junker with ok wheels that I can use. Converted the 7spd freewheel to a single speed 18 tooth the front sprocket is a 52t from an old 10 spd I cut the teeth off of the small ring it got aluminum paint the big sprocket got metalic bronze as did the rear cog and spacer. The brake lever also got the bronze as will the rims. Thanks for all the encouragement guys. Oh I decided on a color Charcoal Green like my trailer with creme head tube and scallops . I love Rod's klunker its my cpu background pic.
dscf2026y.jpg

By xc204
Oh and the wooden floor grate was also last 2 weeks proj.

so much talent and creativity. modest too.

my hats off to ya bud! great build!

Made a little progress this week got some pedals in the mail and chain adjusters. Got the wheels painted final color Bronze made some dovetail mounts for tool box and battery holder and mounted and ballanced tires Ha
dscf2030.jpg

By xc204
Red leather for seat TBB......to be built
dscf2031.jpg

By xc204
dscf2033.jpg

By xc204
Dovetail mounts made of cabnet hanging hardware scrounged from a wood shops dumpster
dscf2032.jpg

By xc204

R I'm going to use soft pads and hope for now but I was'nt sure I could bend in the chain stays enough to fit a coaster brake hub width with out kinking the stays

XC204 said:
R I'm going to use soft pads and hope for now but I was'nt sure I could bend in the chain stays enough to fit a coaster brake hub width with out kinking the stays
Umm, spacers? :idea:

Thought about spacers but would have had to build a new shift rod for the 3 spd and lace the hub in. Got lazy when the free wheels came my way.

Made some art for the headbadge. I found a place online that makes cut plastic letters cheap so I will use a positive of the letters and stripes on polished alum ,sandblast the background then paint it bronze ,remove the mask and have polished letters on bronze background.
75333038.jpg

By xc204

Finished my frame mount battery holder with built in switch this morning made of 1" Cu tube a 1/4 20 brass nut, 1/4 20 thumb screw and a spring out of the parts bin and some BNC connectors and cable. Turns on when thumb screw turned in to contact batterys (3 AA nmh ) a spring on the center terminal of the bnc keeps the batterys in compression for a good connection. A piece of 1/2" pvc pipe isolates the batterys till thumb screw is turned in.
dscf2034b.jpg

By xc204

For some reason I can not see the thumb screw/switch online its in the photo on the right side end cap.

I never would have thought of using BNC connectors for making power hook-ups! Very cool Gary! :mrgreen:

Got the headbadge cut and formed out of 1/32 aluminum started to polish it . I have cut plastic label to mask the letters and bars will sand blast the background for texture then paint it bronze will have bright silver grafics on bronze background. I formed it in the inside of a piece of 1 1/4" conduit with a pipe section of smaller dia to press it to shape.
dscf2036t.jpg

By xc204
75333038.jpg

By xc204

Latest posts

Back